The Goodricke Cup
- The Goodricke Cup
Standing cup and cover of silver parcel gilt; oviform bowl originally an ostrich egg, later replaced by silver, not gilt; whole surface engraved with figures, birds and formal ornaments. Bowl held in position by three straps with caryatid figures connecting foot and rim. Rim engraved with strap-work enclosing scrolls forming three medallions; first: letters with knot; second: a date; third: clasped hands, one issuing from cloud, other from armillary sphere with Goodricke motto. Cup holding base of bowl is reeded and has three masks on upper edge, between them three S-shaped buttresses; knop chased in relief with masks and strapwork; foot chased with hounds and game in moderate relief. Cover embossed and chased in bold relief with applied masks in cartouches alternating with hanging fruit; broad border, cast with central finial surmounted by Goodricke crest, a demi-lion issuing from a torse; battle-axe for lion's paw lost. Inside cover is a raised setting with silver medallion, engraved and enamelled with arms of Richard Goodricke of Ribston (see comment for details); initials on two sides. Hallmarks on cover, lip and foot and date-letter.
LessUnclear when engraved silver body was added to replace lost ostrich egg original. Crude engraving on this part in comparison with lip, and would seem to be late 17th C, possibly third quarter. DFT
Gallery Label: Gallery 46, Case 6, August 2005
The ‘Goodricke’ Cup
Silver-gilt mounts, enamel, London 1563-4
Silver cup, probably London, around 1610
Franks Bequest, 1897; MLA AF 3050
The original cup of this exotic display piece would have been an ostrich egg or a coconut. When damaged, it was replaced by a silver cup, engraved with male and female figures, flowers and birds.
Richard Goodricke (died 1582) became High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1579. The finial of the cup is boldly modelled with the family crest of a lion rising out of a torse (in heraldry, a twisted band).Text from Read and Tonnochy 1928, 'Catalogue of Silver Plate' (Franks Bequest):
The maker's mark is identical with that on a standing salt belonging to the Vintners' Company, dated 1569. The cup is figured in Cripps, opp. p. 342; and in Jackson, 'English Plate', II, fig. 865. It was made for Richard Goodricke, second son of Henry Goodricke of Ribston, Yorks, by his second wife Margaret, daughter of Sir Christopher Rawson of London, Knt. He married Clare, daughter of Richard Norton of Norton Conyers, and had by her two sons and three daughters. He was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1579, died 8 January 1581-2, and was buried at Ribston (C. A. Goodricke, 'History of the Goodricke Family', p. 14; privately printed, London, 1897). The shield of arms shows a quarterly coat of Goodricke impaling that of Norton, alias Conyers, with seven additional quarterings: (1) "Arg. on a fesse gu. between two lions passant gardant sa. a fleur-de-lis between two crescents of the first" (Goodricke). (2) "Arg. on a chevron engrailed between three trefoils slipped sa., as many crescents of the first" (Williamson of Durham, Oxford, and York). (3) "Per fesse wavy sa. and az. a castle with four towers in perspective arg." (Rawson of York and Lancaster).
(4) "Or on a chevron vert three birds' heads erased arg." (Craford, Essex, hawks' heads). The impalement is (1) "Az. a maunch ermine over all a bendlet" (Norton, alias Conyers, co. York). (2) "Arg. a chevron between three cushions sa." (Norton). (3) "Sa. an eagle displ. or" (Nunwicke). (4) "Arg. a bend between six martlets sa." (Tempest of York). (5) "Barry of six gu. and arg. in chief three mullets of the last" (? Flanders). (6) "Arg. a bend engrailed sa., an escallop for difference" (Ratcliffe, co. Essex). (7) "Sa. a saltire arg." (Ashton, Killerton, or Ribston).
For the arms fully described see Collins and Brydges, Peerage of England, VII, pp. 546-8, information supplied by Michael Goodrick May 2009.
For an English ostrich egg cup marked for London 1590 by John Spilman, see Christies London 25 November 2008, lot 55, with reference to this cup.Other English cups are the Ducie cup of 1592 in Toledo Ohio, The Fletcher Cupof 1592 in Corpus, Oxford, the Burghley Cup in Burghley House of 1594 (altered and added to), the Exeter Cup in Exeter College Oxford, c1610.
Unclear when engraved silver body was added to replace lost ostrich egg original. Crude engraving on this part in comparison with lip, and would seem to be late 17th C, possibly third quarter. DFT