MR CHARLES ALFRED GOODRICKE
MR CHARLES ALFRED GOODRICKE. Author Historian Genioligist 1847-1915.
C. A. Goodricke & Co., London.Theorigins of this reputable firm go back to 1890, when Mr. Charles Alfred Goodricke started in business in the City, in premises at 110 Cannon Street. It at that time held the London agency of the Chandpore, Mazdehee, Lungla, Shamshernugger, Syihet and Etah Tea Companies all of them operating in Syihet. Mr. Goodricke was a director of the Lungla Co., which was, however, lost to the Agency, with Shamshernugger and Etah, on their amalgamation into one company, the agency of which was taken over by Messrs. Octavius Steel & Co. in 1898. He became, in 1896, the first managing director of the New Sylhet Tea Estates, Ltd., which does not appear, however, to have come into the firm’s agency. In addition to these tea companies the firm was concerned in a variety of other interests, including a coal mine in Staffordshire, a lead mine in Cornwall and gold prospecting in Canada; but these were not remunerative and had disappeared from the scene before the outbreak of war in 1914.
Mr. Goodricke retired in 1906, being succeeded as proprietor of the firm by his assistant, George Perrin. Mr. Perrin had married a Miss Parkhouse in 1905, and on his death in 1909 her brother, Charles Parkhouse, acquired the goodwill of the business. Mr. Goodricke then returned to the business to initiate the new proprietor and was so engaged until his death in 1915.
The Goodricke name still (2004) associated with The Goodricke Tea Company, in India and for sponsoring the game of Chess.
DEATH OF MR CHARLES A. GOODRICKE.
There has passed away, at his residence, 27, Crediton Hill, West Hampstead, Charles Alfred Goodricke, the descendant of an old Yorkshire family, the Goodrickes of Ribston, near Knaresborough.
Ribston Hall was in the possession of the Goodricke family from 1533, when Richard Goodricke married Muriel, daughter of Lord Eure, until 1833, when Sir Harry James Goodricke, Bart. bequeathed it to his friend, Francis Lyttleton Holyoake.
The representation of the Goodricke family then fell to William Goodricke, of Nesham Hall, Houghton-le-Spring, Durham. Mr Chas. A. Goodricke, his grandson, was born at Nesham Hall in 1847, and at the age of 23 went out to Calcutta, where he lived for eleven years, as a successful East India merchant. Compelled by ill-health to return to England, Mr Goodricke continued the East India business in London until 1904, when he retired and made his home for some years in Ilkley, where he was well known and highly respected It was a matter of great regret, not only to Mr Goodricke, but also to his many Yorkshire friends, that circumstances later made necessary his return to London. Mr Goodricke retained to the last his love for Ilkley. Every year while health permitted he went for a long visit to enjoy the strong and invigorating air, and he left instructions that his remains were to be laid in the Ilkley Cemetery by the side of his wife, Eliza Frances, eldest daughter of Barzillai Garnham, of Gloucester, whom he married in 1874, and who died in Ilkley in 1904. In politics he was a strong Unionist, and in religion a staunch Churchman, "devoted to the Catholic teaching and worship of the Church, and upholding the use of a dignified ritual. He strongly resented any suggestion of alteration in the Prayer Book, was opposed to increased facilities for divorce, believing divorce impossible to a Christian, and was a vigorous advocate of definite religious education. Although unflinching in his advocacy of all that he deemed right, Mr Goodricke was the most courteous of opponents as he was one of the most kindly and generous of men. His quiet benevolence was far-reaching, and his many deeds of helpful kindness are known only to the recipients and to the Recording Angel, for he never spoke of them. An interesting companion, a loyal and staunch friend, a most lovable personality, he wore the white flower of a blameless life, and was in all things the type of the true Christian gentleman. A prolonged and suffering illness, borne with unvarying cheerful patience, closed on Ascension Day; and the following Tuesday many friends gathered in the Ilkley Cemetery for the last farewell. Mr Goodricke had no children, but some years ago he adopted his nephew, who took his name.
DEATH OF MR CHARLES A. GOODRICKE. AS REPORTED IN THE DURHAM ADVERTISER June 4th 1915.
Edited By Michael B Goodrick.