Richard Goodrick lawyer and administrator,
Of Jesus College (Venn). Ecclesiastical commissioner. (DNB)
Matthew Parker, Edmund Grindall and Richard Goodrick requested that the body of Peter Martyr's wife be buried honourably. 1563, p. 1559., 1570, p. 2153, 1576, p. 1859, 1583, p. 1968.
[Nephew of Thomas Goodryke, bishop of Ely.]
Richard Goodrick], (b. before 1508, d. 1562), lawyer and administrator, was a younger son of the staple merchant Richard
Goodricke (d. 1508) of Bolingbroke, Lincolnshire, and his wife, Alice Etton of Firsby, and was a cousin of Thomas Goodricke, bishop of Ely. Richard married Mary, daughter of the evangelical London grocer John Blage (the wedding guests included leading
reformers like Rowland Taylor); they had a son and daughter. Following their divorce, which was formalized about 1551, he wed c.1552 Dorothy Badbye, widow of George Blage; she was still alive in 1582, when her name was Dorothy Jarmyn.
After studying for a time at Jesus College, Cambridge, Goodricke was admitted to Gray's Inn in 1532, and embarked upon a legal career which soon included work in the new court of augmentations. At the same time he served as a JP and sewer commissioner for his native county from 1539, and as a Lincolnshire chantry commissioner in 1546. He represented Grimsby in the parliaments of 1542, 1545, and 1547, participating actively in drafting and revising bills.
Appointed attorney of the court of wards in May 1546, Goodricke exchanged this office in January 1547 for that of attorney in the reorganized court of augmentations. As the pace of religious reform quickened after 1547, the evangelical lawyer's responsibilities multiplied. He was included in commissions to root out heresy (1551, 1552), and appointed to the committee of thirty-two lawyers and divines charged with revising the ecclesiastical laws (1552). A London chantry commissioner in 1548, Goodric ke also had primary responsibility for surveying the city's church goods in the summer of 1552.
The restoration of Catholicism in 1553 and the dissolution of the court of augmentations (January 1554) temporarily ended Goodricke`s public career. Despite rumours that he intended to join other protestants abroad he remained in London during Mary's reign, afflicted with gout and vexed by a chancery suit brought by his first wife, Mary, demanding restoration of her dowry. With the accession of Elizabeth, however, Goodricke returned to royal service. In early December 1558 he submitted a memorial to the queen counselling caution in restoring protestantism but recommending pre-emptive strikes against leading Catholics and efforts to counter papal propaganda. That same month Goodricke served on a committee of lawyers preparing for the upcoming parliament, and he later played his part in implementing the Elizabethan religious settlement, both as a member of the powerful ecclesiastical commission created in July 1559 and as a commissioner taking oaths of supremacy from clergy. Goodricke's extensive augmentations experience also earned him membership in the commission to sell crown lands (October 1561).
Goodricke died in May 1562 at his house in Whitefriars, London, and was buried at St Andrew's, Holborn. The distinguished mourners at his funeral on 25 May 1562 were led by Archbishop Parker and Bishop Grindal, Lord Keeper Bacon and Chief Justice Catlyn—as befitted an individual earlier praised by Hugh Latimer as a ‘godly man of law in this realm’ (Acts and Monuments, 7.516).