Goodricke Barons

Sir John Goodricke seventh but eldest surviving son of Sir Henry Goodricke, by his wife Jane, daughter of Sir John Savile, Knight, succeeded his father 22nd July 1641. He was born 20th April 1617, and was created a Baronet 14th August 1641. He was educated at Aberdeen, as was also his brother Savile, their father considering the discipline there stricter than in the English colleges. At the age of nineteen he was sent to France, where he remained a year and a half, returning home in 1638, when he received a commission as captain of a foot company in Lord Fairfax's regiment. He proclaimed at an early age his devotion to the royal cause, for I find a letter from him to Mr. Thomas Livingstone, in London, written in January 1639, ordering a buff suit and other necessaries, and inquiring the price of a complete suit of armour, as he "intends to attend his Majesty this summer in arms as a private gentleman, if not as a captain." He says "I am not ignorant that you make profession of arms, as well as of other arts; which moves me, being likewise myself entered into the same list, to desire your opinion in the choice and price of a complete armour for a captain of a foot company. This is my request to you as you are a soldier, and for the fitting them to my body, none can do it better than yourself. As for the other things, which my mother mentioned in her letter to you, I leave the ordering of them to your own discretion, that which cannot err in making them handsome and fashionable. Yet thus far let me advise you, that as you tender the Honour of your military profession, you send them down against the 12th February next, and together with them the price of the arms. "This letter dated 12th January 1639. On 7th October, 1641, he married, at Trinity Church, Micklegate, York, Catherine, daughter and co-heiress of Stephen Norcliffe, of York, Esquire, counsellor-at-law, who had just attained her majority, and on 24th October in the following year his son and heir, Henry, was born. The civil war had now broken out, and Sir John immediately took up arms in the cause of the King. He commanded a troop of horse under the Earl of Newcastle, which he led at the attack of Bradford, then in the hands of the Parliamentarians, 18th December 1642. In this siege he was seriously wounded, and his horse killed under him by a scythe.

The extract from a very quaint account of the siege of Bradford, written by Joseph Lister, an eyewitness, will be read with interest "Accordingly, on the 18th of December, being the Sabbath-day, the Earl of Newcastle sent the van of his army again from Leeds, consisting of five troops of horse, six troops of dragoons, and two hundred foot. Commanded by Colonel Goring, Colonel Evans, Sir William Savile, and Sir John Goodricke. Intending with these troops to surprise the town while the inhabitants were engaged in Divine service; but our scouts returned and alarmed the town and country of their approach; and now, what hurry and confusion immediately ensued: the whole congregation betook themselves to flight, and sought for refuge where they thought most safe. Every man was now ordered to his post armed with such weapons as he was beforehand provided with all the church and steeple were secured in the best manner we possibly could, being determined (relying upon Divine assistance) to defend it to the last extremity. Again they approached us with the sound of warlike music, and their streamers flying in the air a tremendous sight! enough to make the stoutest heart to tremble! To shake the nerves, and loose the joints of every beholder! Amazing, to see the different effects it had upon others, who were fired with rage, even to madness; and filled with revenge, almost to enthusiasm. They then advanced nearer, and set down in Barker-end, not above three hundred paces above the church, where they raised a battery against it, but chiefly against the steeple, intending, if possible, to erase it to the ground; perhaps because they feared to suffer the greatest harm by those who were placed therein; ten or twelve of the best marksmen being in that part of the steeple judged most proper to annoy the enemy others were in and about the church, and every pass leading thereto, and those into the town were guarded in the best manner our little army of men would admit of, which were very small in comparison to the number of our enemies, which we thought upwards of two thousand, with a train of artillery suitable thereto. Each party being in this position, the enemy began to fire with the greatest fury upon us, and especially against the steeple; and,in small space of time, discharged their great guns seventeen times. At length, one of our men, with a fowling-piece, from off the steeple, killed one of their cannoneers; and instantly we all, with the greatest courage, resolution, and intrepidity, issued out of the town upon the enemy. Who expected rather a speedy surrender than resistance?

This so much daunted and surprised them, that they were at a loss what course to take but perceiving how advantageous the steeple was to our men. And how they were incommoded by the fire from thence, they presently possessed themselves of some houses and a barn nearer the church, very convenient for the shelter of their men, and brought their cannon also nearer the church. From hence, they sent out Sir John Goodricke's troop of horse, who encompassed the town, and some little villages on the side of it, they robbed a woman most basely, and cowardly slew two naked (or unarmed) men as they passed by. And, so coming within sight of the town's sentinel, at the west end, the sentinel fired upon them, and wounded two or three of their horses one of which, being but slightly hurt, was brought into the town. And in a little time, partly by the shot from the town, and partly by the approach of some club men from Bingley, they were forced to return to their party.

"In the mean time, their cannon was removed to such a place as they could conveniently play upon the town, and especially upon that part called Kirkgate, by which the townsmen must of necessity march in order to relieve their party, and best resist the enemy. Those upon the steeple, made great havoc and confusion among the enemy: for when any buff or scarlet coat appeared within their reach, they had two or three guns pointed in one hole, and discharged at once upon them, and generally with success, which thereby greatly deterred the rest from relieving their men, which were in the houses; and thus they continued until high noon; about which time there came to our assistance some fire-men and club-men from Halifax, who immediately were put to service, some in the church, others in the lanes near the houses where the enemy lodged; those in the church and lanes kept the houses in play, and those on the steeple hindered the enemy from relieving those in the houses; but seeing this was not the way to repel the enemy, for the largeness of the church windows, and the smallness of their houses, made their assault more secure, and our defence more dangerous; which the townsmen perceiving, and, that this way did but waste themselves and their ammunition, they therefore resolved to win or lose all at once, by a general assault therefore. Watching an opportunity betwixt the discharge and charging again of the cannon of the enemy, our men sallied out of the church, and being seconded by those in the lanes, rushed up to the houses, burst open the doors, slew them that resisted, and took those that yielded; the rest fled into the field adjoining, where some of the townsmen followed, (the greatest part of them being employed in conveying the men and ammunition, which the enemy had left behind them) and in the field the skirmish grew hotter than ever; the townsmen were too eager to keep rank and file, though they had before been taught so to do. But this disorder proved very advantageous to our men; for, mixing themselves with the enemy, they thereby fought securely, even in the mouth of the enemy's cannon, and in the eye of one body of their forces, both placed in the field above them; they not daring to discharge their cannon upon us, lest in so doing they should destroy their own men together with us; otherwise, they had ten firemen for one, and might have cut us all off in an instant nor could our men use their muskets but as clubs. To speak ingenuously, their commanders being exasperated at the cowardice of their common soldiers, manifested greater courage themselves; but they were well paid for it, for our scythes and clubs now and then reached them sorely, and few else did the townsmen aim at; one among the rest, in a scarlet coat, (said to be Colonel Goring himself,) our club-men had got hold of, and were spoiling of him; but, a party of their horse, fearing the loss of such a man, became more courageous than they intended, so, leaping over a hedge, came full gallop upon our men, and forced them to give a little ground, but they quickly recovered themselves though they lost their man and redoubling their courage, would neither give nor take quarter, (not through cruelty, but ignorance, as the enemy themselves afterwards confessed); and, in the end, forced both man and horse out of the field. Yet ours could not keep it; for, now being separated from the enemy, their musketeers were at liberty to play upon our men ; and now, indeed, they rained such a shower of lead among them, as forced them to retreat to the next hedge for shelter, and so hindered them from pursuing their men-their ordnance also, all this time, playing upon the town and steeple ; nevertheless, that which was planted against the steeple did it no harm-that intended to scour Kirkgate, though planted in the most advantageous place, though the streets were continually crowded with people, and though the bullets did hit some of the houses, and some whistled through the streets, yet was not any man hurt therewith: which was nothing short of the wonderful goodness of the Almighty, in protecting the lives of the inhabitants in such a surprising and miraculous manner.

One circumstance somewhat remarkable cannot be omitted. During the heat of this action, a stout young officer (said to be the Earl of Newport's son) headed a company of foot, came down the field on the left side of the high-road, under cover of a thick hedge, intending to force a passage through a house and so surprise the church. He (the officer) being too sanguine, pushed on little too fast before his men, fell into an ambuscade; being cut off from his men, and seeing no way to escape, begged for quarter, but was answered by one Ralph Atkinson, saying he would give him Bradford quarter! and immediately slew him. His men, understanding what had happened, and struck with astonishment at the loss of their leader, fled with the greatest precipitation; and were pursued by a party of our men, who slew some of them; then the whole body of the enemy begun to retreat, for they had sent off their baggage before; and thus, the terror of the Lord, and our men falling upon them, away they went, using their feet better than their hands, and about fifty of our musketeers and club-men after them, which courage of ours, did most of all astonish the enemy, who said afterwards, no fifty men in the world, except they were mad or drunk, would have pursued a thousand. Our men, indeed, shot and fought, as if they had been mad; and, the enemy truly fell as if they had been drunk: some discharged ten, some twelve times in the pursuit; and having the whole body of the enemy for their butt, it may easily be imagined what good execution was done, in a mile and a half pursuit, for they followed them up to the moor; but fearing to be envisioned by the horse, they retreated, so weary after eight hours' fight, (for so long it lasted) that they could scarce return to the town.

One thing I cannot omit. A hearty Roundhead (or so the enemy called us) left by his comrades, and surrounded by three of the enemy's horse, discharged his musket upon one, struck down another's horse with the butt-end of it, broke a third's sword, beating it back to his throat, and put them all to flight, which relation though strange as the rest, yet is most certainly true. There was slain in this notable and remarkable skirmish, the Earl of Newport's son, by Atkinson, who took great store of gold out of his pockets, a gold ring, etc., but, it is said upon a serious reflection, he greatly lamented so rash an action: Captain Binas was carried away to Leeds and died of his wounds three days after. Their wounded were Sir John Goodricke, whose horse was killed with a scythe, Colonel Goring, general of the horse, and about a hundred common soldiers. Of ours, not above three at most fell by the enemy, and about twelve wounded, all curable except two, There were also taken prisoners of the enemy, Sergeant-Major Crew, twenty-six common soldiers, about ten horses, one hundred and eighty pounds (weight) of powder, and about forty muskets, thus, our wants were supplied out of our enemy's store, leaving us a much better stock of arms and ammunition, than we had at their first coming."

Soon after this event Sir John was made a prisoner, and his estate sequestered. The Hall at Hunsingore, one of his seats, is said to have been entirely destroyed during the Civil War. Sir John was confined first at Manchester, and a very interesting relic of him at this period still exists at Ribston, it is a French Bible, printed in 1622, which his mother sent to him. It contains a letter to him on the flyleaf, as follows:-
"Son John,
I have sent you to Manchester your father's French Bible a Jewel to which you are no stranger. This book was the delightful study of his freedom and trust it may be the profitable delight of your confinement by the assistance of God's most Holy Spirit is the hearty desire and shall be the humble prayers of Your loving mother Jane Goodrick."
Post PS.-
"What you find written of your worthy Father's hand be careful to preserve, for I part not willingly with any of his manuscripts." (The rest is illegible.) Sir John has added the following:-
"This Bible I bought at Tours in France Anno Dom 1638, and brought it with me into England as a present to my Father, after whose death it was sent to me by my mother, being Prisoner of War in Manchester, as the best companion in solitude, I have found by experience that The Bible is most profitably read when a man reads it in his mother tongue, however he understands it in foreign languages and (as the food we are accustomed to) is soonest digested into solid nourishment."

Sir John was afterwards removed to the Tower of London, where he was kept a prisoner for three years, during which time his young wife died. It has been stated that he escaped from the Tower and fled to France, where he remained until the Restoration; but I have met with no authentic evidence supporting this tradition. In the early part of November 1645 he addressed the following petition to the House of Commons:-

"To the honorable House of Commons in Parliament assembled.
The humble Petition of Sir John Goodricke, Knt. and Baronet humbly sheweth, that you petitioner having been a Prisoner of War these three years' remains committed to the Tower of London by Order from this honorable house to the great impairment of his health, by so long and tedious a restraint, his whole estate being, sequestered.

The Petitioner, therefore, humbly prayeth, that it will please this honorable house to admit him to his Composition and Liberty to attend the same he giving good security. Never hereafter to act or do anything to the prejudice of the State. And your petitioner shall daily pray, etc. John Goodricke."

" December 30th, 1645.
This is the Petition of Sir John Goodricke delivered into my hands about the beginning of November last; though it waited for an opportunity to be presented to The House until the 22nd of December instant. Phillip Stapelton."

This Petition was duly presented to the House of Commons, and the following order was made Die Lune, 22nd December 1645.
"Ordered (upon the Question) by the Commons Assembled in Parliament that it be referred to the Committee at Goldsmiths Hall to compound with Sir John Goodricke, and to consider of and examine the losses sustained by Mr. Stockdale. And to report to the House both the Composition and Losses of the said Mr. Stockdale.
H. Elsynge, Cler. Parl. D. Coin."

Sir John took the National Covenant at Westminster on 29th December, 1645, and petitioned the Committee for Compounding with Delinquents as follows:-

"To the right Honorable the Committee for Compounding with Delinquents at Goldsmiths Hall.
The humble Petition of Sir John Goodricke, Knt. and Baronet. Sheweth, whereas the petitioner is sequestered by order from the Committee at York, and the petitioner being at this present prisoner in the Tower. And hath (by order from The Honorable House of Parliament) Liberty to Correspond. He therefore humbly prayeth that the Committee at York may be desired to certify the value of his estate. And what interest he hath in the Land sequestered together with what charge do lye upon or is issuing out of the same.
And the petitioner shall pray, etc. John Goodricke."

On 2nd February 1645, the Committee for the West Riding of York certified to the Estate of Sir John; and as these papers are full of interest, I give copies of them here. A further certificate follows them by Sir John himself:-

20th February 1645.

"To the Honorable the Committee at Goldsmiths Hall, London. For Compounding with Delinquents.
The Certificate of the Committee for the West Rydinge of the county of York.
According to the Order of the fifth of January last whereby we are required to send a just and true picture of all the estate real and personal, and yearly revenue of Sir John Goodricke knight and Baronet: we having used our best endeavours to inform ourselves touching the points in the said order, do certify to cash particulars as follow here with:-

"A particular of the estate of Sir John Goodricke in the West Riding as it was in the times before this unnatural war, being upon rack and in present possession. The Manor of Hunsingor, in the parish of Hunsingor with the lands and tythes. Thereto belonging of the yearly value of £196.07s.06d, his Lands in Cattail Magna in pochia de Hunsingor, predict p. Anne, £190.04s.00d, his lands in Ribston Magna and Walshford in Parochia predict p Annu, £150.11s.00d, his lands in Ribston parua in Parochia de Spoforth p. Ann, £45.00s.00d, Ribston Park in parochia de Hunsingor predict p. Anne, £24.00s.00d, his land in Widdington in parochia de Nunn Munketon p. Anna, £45.00s.00d. free rents in Grewellthorpe in pochia de Kirkebie Matzerd, 17s.02d. Total £651.19s.08d.

The lands mentioned as they are now of p'sente value yearly and so let. £532.16s.04d. Lands in Revenue and to descends to & John Goodricke. Viz.: - The Capital Messuage of Ribston magna and Pte of the demesnes, together with the Tythes of those Demesne grounds and a water come mime in Hunsingor, with the appurtenances being the La. Goodricke his mother's jointure before this unnatural war, of value £220.00s00d.
The particulars above mentioned are certified unto us by Richard Roundell, Edmund Birte, Thorna.s Wescoc, George Nayler, Richard Pickerd, Thomas Lewis and William Burton, sequestrators for the weapenmake of Claroc who do also certify that they do not know yet the said Sir John Goodricke bath any lands in present possession, reversion, or expectance win min the said weapentake, other then these already mentioned, nor any other personnel estate then what is already accounted for and paid into this Committee amounting to £22.17s.04d, after a 5th taken out and allowed to Sir John Goodricke's child. Edw. Rodes, Ro. Barwicke, Jo. Ffarrer, 'Tho. St. Nicholas. Jo. Bright."

The final document of importance in connection with Sir John Goodricke's composition is the order of the Houses of Parliament " for taking off the sequestration" of his estate, which was read in the House of Lords on 25th August, 1646, and " Agreed to."

Sir John appears at this time to have retired to his home, and was living there in November 1650. About 1653 he married his second wife, who was Elizabeth, widow of William, third Viscount Fairfax, of Gilling, co. York, and daughter of Alexander Smith, of Sutton, co. Suffolk, Esq.; and by her had an only son, John, born 16th October, 1654, who eventually succeeded as third Baronet. At the time of her marriage to Sir John Goodricke the Lady Fairfax had an only daughter, Catherine, afterwards wife of Benjamin Mildmay, Lord Fitzwalter; her two sons, Thomas, who was the fourth Viscount Fairfax, and William, having died in infancy. At the Restoration Sir John was elected one of the Knights of the Shire for co. York, and served as a Deputy Lieutenant.

It is a circumstance worthy of note here that during the Civil War Sir John's uncle, Colonel William Goodricke, and his cousins, Major William and Captain Henry Goodricke, were all officers in the parliamentary army. As is well known, family divisions of this nature were by no means uncommon in these troublesome times, but happily in this case the bonds of union between Sir John and his relatives were not broken or disturbed by the divergence in their political opinions. Sir John died in 1670, his will bearing date 19th September, 1669, being proved at York 25th November in the following year. His widow survived until 1692, and resided at Moulsham Hall, co. Essex. Her will, dated 4th June 1692, signed "Elizabeth Fairfax," was proved in London on 15th September in the same year.


Sir Henry Goodricke, 2nd Bart. 1642-1705

Sir Henry Goodricke, second baronet (1642–1705), diplomat and politician, was born on 24 October 1642, the eldest son of Sir John Goodricke, first baronet (1617–1670), of Ribston, Yorkshire, who served in the duke of Newcastle's royalist northern army in the civil wars, and his wife, Catherine Northcliffe (d. before 1645). He travelled abroad in 1657 and 1658, visiting France. In 1668 he married Mary (c.1647–1715), daughter of William Legge (1607/8–1670), groom of the bedchamber and lieutenant-general of the ordnance, and his wife, Elizabeth Washington, and sister of George Legge (1648–1691), later Lord Dartmouth.

Goodricke succeeded to the family estates on the death of his father in 1670, and served in a variety of positions in local government in Yorkshire, most notably as a JP for the West Riding from 1667 onwards, and was returned to parliament for Boroughbridge in November 1673, retaining the seat (with only a brief intermission during the exclusion crisis) until his death. Initially an opponent of the court, Goodricke switched his support to the earl of Danby in February 1677 and thereafter was closely associated with the earl's cause.

In 1678 and 1679 Goodricke served as colonel of one of the foot regiments intended to serve in a war against France, fighting and winning a duel against one of his captains who had resigned his commission. He was appointed envoy-extraordinary to Spain on 12 June 1679, and set out after his defeat in the August election. He found the posting expensive, claiming in March 1680 that ‘almost my entire credit is worn out, my way of living being as moderate as I can make it’ (Goodricke to Clarendon, 6 March 1680, BL, Add. MS 17017, fol. 69). As envoy Goodricke was involved in promoting Charles II's unsuccessful offer to mediate in the dispute between France and Spain resulting from Louis XIV's policy of annexing disputed border territories of the Spanish Netherlands. Goodricke's mission ended controversially when two of his servants rescued a woman accused by the Spanish authorities of selling meat illegally. The government of King Carlos II protested, claiming Goodricke was exceeding his diplomatic privileges, and he was ordered to leave the court. It was suggested that the Spanish were glad of an excuse to get rid of him, having a ‘mean opinion’ of his ‘public and private comportment’, although it was also suggested that his zeal on behalf of English merchants in Spain was the real cause of the dislike of him (Downshire MSS, 1.14–16). In any event, the incident further soured relations between England and Spain, leading to protests from King Charles II and a suspension of diplomatic relations. Goodricke returned to England and had an audience with the king at Whitehall on 27 March 1683.

During the revolution of 1688 Goodricke acted as the earl of Danby's de facto second-in-command in the north. His own anti-Catholicism, a consistent trait over many years, had been reinforced by his temporary dismissal (from September to November 1688) from the Yorkshire magistracy in favour of men of lower social standing. Goodricke's seat, Ribston Hall—said at the time to be ‘one of the most charming seats … in the north’—became a centre of Williamite plotting, and Goodricke built a number of new fortifications in his gardens (Dartmouth MSS, 1.138). Danby and another aristocratic conspirator, the earl of Devonshire, both visited Ribston during November 1688. Goodricke summoned and addressed a meeting of gentry at York on 22 November, ostensibly to draw up a petition for a free parliament, but in reality a ploy to enable Danby and his followers, notably his son Lord Dunblane, Lord Lumley (one of the seven signatories of the letter of invitation to William), and Goodricke, to seize control of York with the pretext of securing it from an alleged Catholic uprising. With a hundred men of their own, and the support of the four troops of militia in the city, the Williamites quickly overpowered the garrison and those who remained loyal to James.

Goodricke was very active in the Convention Parliament which offered the throne to William and Mary, chairing or sitting on several key committees. His reward for his loyalty to the new regime was the post of lieutenant-general of the ordnance, to which he was appointed on 26 April 1689 (serving until 29 June 1702). Goodricke quickly proved himself a hard-working and highly efficient administrator in this position, regularly attending meetings, dispatching business, and earning high praise: one admiral informed the secretary of state that although he had written to the Board of Ordnance for a dispatch of nails, ‘if you would speak two words to Sir Henry Goodricke, we should have them’.

Appointed a privy councillor on 13 February 1690, on 11 July of the same year Goodricke was appointed one of the commissioners investigating the naval defeat at Beachy Head. Danby, by now marquess of Carmarthen (and subsequently duke of Leeds), employed him as his chief manager and spokesman in the House of Commons in the parliamentary sessions between 1690 and 1693. Goodricke was not entirely successful in this position and was supplanted when Carmarthen's rival Sunderland returned to prominence in 1693 and 1694, although he continued to be an active MP, generally supportive of the court. He died at Brentford on 5 March 1705, three days after making a will in which he bequeathed his entire estate to his wife, Mary. He was buried at Ribston, and was succeeded to the baronetcy by his half-brother John, his marriage having been childless.

Goodricke's character was described most thoroughly in the memoirs of his friend and fellow Yorkshire MP, Sir John Reresby: ‘this Sir Henry Goodricke was a gentleman of fine parts naturally, and those improved by great reading and travel … we always continued so kind friends that we [were] called brothers’ (Memoirs of Sir John Reresby, 89). Reresby also called Mary Goodricke ‘the finest woman, one of them, in that age’ (ibid., 148). However, Reresby was fooled by Goodricke's dissimulation during the 1688 revolution, believing his denial of any scheme to act against James II's interests, ‘to which (he being an open man) I confess I gave credit more than I ought to have done; but friendship deceives many’ (ibid., 526).


C. A. Goodricke, ed., History of the Goodricke family, rev. edn (1897) · Memoirs of Sir John Reresby, ed. A. Browning, 2nd edn, ed. M. K. Geiter and W. A. Speck (1991) · Report on the manuscripts of Allan George Finch, 5 vols., HMC, 71 (1913–2003), vols. 2–4 · Seventh report, HMC, 6 (1879) [Sir Frederick Graham; MSS relating to Lord Preston] · Report on the manuscripts of the marquis of Downshire, 6 vols. in 7, HMC, 75 (1924–95), vol. 1, pp. 14–16 · HoP, Commons, 1660–90, 2.410–13 · ‘Goodricke’, HoP, Commons, 1690–1715 [draft] · will, PRO, PROB 11/481, fol. 50 · PRO, WO 47/17 [board of ordnance minutes, 1695–6] · PRO, WO 46/3 [ordnance letter bk, 1693–5] · H. C. Tomlinson, Guns and government: the ordnance office under the later Stuarts, Royal Historical Society Studies in History, 15 (1979) · BL, Egerton MS 3336, fols. 108, 118, 130 [Leeds papers] · letter to Clarendon, 6 March 1680, BL, Add. MS 17017, fols. 68–9 · letters to Sir R. Bulstrode, BL, Add. MS 47899 · The manuscripts of the earl of Dartmouth, 3 vols., HMC, 20 (1887–96), vol. 1, pp. 138, 249 · W. A. Shaw, ed., Calendar of treasury books, 7, PRO (1916), 1395–6 · N. Luttrell, A brief historical relation of state affairs from September 1678 to April 1714, 6 vols. (1857) · The manuscripts of S. H. Le Fleming, HMC, 25 (1890), 215, 247, 278 · GEC, Peerage · G. M. Bell, A handlist of British diplomatic representatives, 1509–1688, Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks, 16 (1990)

Sir John Goodricke 3rd Baronet.

John Goodricke Became the Third Baronet.Sir John Goodricke third Baronet, was only son of Sir John, the first Baronet, by his second wife, Elizabeth, relict of William, third Viscount Fairfax, of Gilling. He was born 16th October, 1654, and resided at Altofts, near Normanton, where he had a mansion house, and where several of his children were born. He succeeded, under his father's will, to a farm at Haddockstones, near Ripon, and it is probable that he lived there during the earlier part of his life. He married Sarah, daughter of Sir Richard Hopkins, of Coventry, Knight, Serjeant-at-Law, M.P., by whom he had five sons and six daughters.
Sir John succeeded his half-brother, Sir Henry, in March 1705, in his fifty-first year; but he survived him only a few months, dying on 10th December following.
His will, dated 21st November, 1705, was proved at York 22nd September, 1706, by his eldest son, Sir Henry. He gives "unto Sarah Goodricke my deare and loving wife all and singuler my goods chattels and household stuff whatsoever as the same are stand and be at my mansion house at Altofts in the said County of Yorke and also all the gold and plate whatsoever in her or my possession to her own use and to dispose of as she thinks fitting and convenient." All the rest of his goods, chattels, and personal estate; and all the lands purchased by him in co. York, and the houses in York called Trinityes, he gives unto his eldest son Henry, subject to the following legacies. To Francis, his second son, £600; to Richard, his third son, £8oo; to John Savile, his fourth son, £700; to William, his youngest son, £1000; and to Katherine, Mary, Elizabeth, Anna Maria, and Henrietta, his daughters, each the sum of £1000
Dame Sarah Goodricke resided at Altofts after her husband's death. She made her will 23rd February, 1731, and it was proved at York, 5th March, 1732, by her grandson, John Goodricke, Esq. She leaves the whole of her personal estate to her grandson, John Goodricke, subject to some small legacies to her daughters and grandchildren.

Sir Henry Goodricke Fourth Baronet.

Sir Henry Goodricke 4th ,Baronet was born 8th September 1677. At the age of seventeen, 30th November 1694, he received a Commission as Ensign in Lieutenant Colonel William Ashton's Company of the 1st Foot Guards, commanded by the Earl of Romney. He was a Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The following letter from him to Mr. Thomas Wotton, on the account of the Goodricke family which had been published in the "Baronetage" for 1727, is interesting and important: -
Ribston, July 7th 1728.
"In the preface to your account. of Baronets, you not only give leave, but desire that each Baronet will send any defect or mistake he may observe in the account of his own family that it may be rectified in another Edition. And in the next page we read that your design (amongst other things) is to give account of the Daughters & their respective marriages, which last I find wholly omitted in the account of our family. thou two Baronets (viz: Hawkesworth & Wentworth, of Howsham) are descended from Daughters of our Family & my own sisters Thou four of them are well married) are not named.
"There is a mistake in the date of my fathers death which should be Dec 10th instead of Sept. 10th 1705.
"The arms are also wrong blazoned, Which should be as follows: Argent on a fess gules between two Lyons passant Guardant sable, a fleur de lis or. Between two Crescents, Argent: this I copy from Sir William Dugdales pedigree of our family. The Crest has been since altered in King Williams Time & the patent for it I have now before me, therefore shall copy the words 'That Sir Henry Goodricke & his only Brother John Goodricke & his male descendants have the following Crest assigned, viz: a demy Lyon Ermines armed and langued gules, issuing out of a Ducal Coronet or, holding in his paws a Battle Axe proper, helved or, as depicted in the margent.'
"Our family also used two naked Boys for supporters, as our old Monuments Evince, and perhaps amongst our old writings may be found authority for it, but the oldest monument with a date & supporters is of my Ancestor Richard Goodricke Esq, the date being 1575 which makes it probable we had this Honour from Queen Eliz. To the seats may be added Altofts in the West Riding of Yorkshire thou now in jointure to my mother.
"Your Leave in the preface must be my Excuse for the trouble from
"Sir You're humble servant
Hen. Goodricke."

From this letter it will be seen that Sir Henry was very anxious that errors should not be allowed to creep into the printed accounts of his family, and the neatly written pages in the Family Bible containing the entries made by him testify to the value he set upon such records; but unfortunately his entries cease in 1719, the marriage of his sister Elizabeth Goodricke being the last event he noted.
Sir Henry enters his own marriage in his Bible as follows:-

"April 26th 1707. I was married to Mrs Mary Jenkyns in York Minster."

Mrs. Mary Jenkyns was only daughter of Tobias Jenkyns, of Grimstone, co. York, Esquire, by his second wife, Lady Mary, 2nd daughter of Charles Paulet, first Duke of Bolton.

The Ribston Pippin Apple

Introduced to this country by Sir Henry Goodricke in the early seventeen hundreds the celebrated Ribston Pippin. Though well-known and greatly prized as one of the best flavoured dessert apples grown, it is not now so generally cultivated in the north, having long ago apparently found a more congenial home in the warmer apple-growing districts of middle and southern England. The original tree at Ribston, the parent of the numerous family of Pippins in this country, was however a truly magnificent and prolific specimen, and in 1787 produced six bushels of fruit. The tree was blown down during a great storm of wind in 1810, but fortunately the lower portion of it was left standing, and from what was left standing new shoots grew, and the tree continued to produce fruit until about 1835, when it began to show signs of decay. Every care was taken to preserve it, and for many years the main stem, which extended itself horizontally, was supported by props, and there is an old oil painting kept at Ribston, executed in 1834, which depicts the tree in this position. The present tree is an off-shoot from the original stem's, and though the tree produces a few apples annually they are of no particular quality.
The present owners of Ribston the Dent family still have a Ribston Pippin on the site of the original tree, and I am grateful to Mrs Georgina Dent for the following details of the origin of the Pippin, and of its introduction into England. She says that Miss Clough, who was a great grand-daughter of Sir Henry Goodricke, and who spent much of her youth at Ribston, wrote the following interesting account of the introduction of the Pippin at Ribston:

A friend about the year 1709 sent these Pippins to Sir Henry Goodricke from Normandy; only one of them succeeded, and from that tree all the Ribston pippins have descended.

The Ribston Pippin came from Normandy about the beginning of the last century, my great grand-father, Sir Henry Goodricke, had a friend abroad who sent him three pippins in a letter which being sown two came to nothing, the present old tree at Ribston is the produce of the third of these pippins, and have been transplanted into all parts.

Another account by Miss Clough says:

Sir Henry, father of John, being at Rouen in Normandy he preserved the pippins of some fine flavoured apples, and sent them to Ribston, they were sown and the produce in due time planted in the park (now George Garth). Out of the trees, which were planted five proved, decided...........All dead, the other two proved good apples, they are.........yet, and they were never grafted.......

The manuscript, which is on a small scrap of paper in Miss Clough's handwriting, is from here unreadable.

How ever the Ribston Pippin got to Yorkshire it is certain that Sir Henry Goodricke played a large part in its success the trees still survive I my self have five examples.

Sir Henry died 21st July 1738, and was buried at Ribston. His monument on the inner south wall of the chapel bears the following inscription

DEC. 10TH. 1705.

OB.: JUL11 21ST. 1738 CETATIS 6j.

Sir Henry's will, dated 11th February, 1737-8 was proved at York 31St July 1738, by Rev. Jaques Sterne, DD, and Rev. Francis Wanley, two of the executors. He desires to be buried in the chapel yard at Ribston. His eldest son succeeded him-


Arms on Hunsingore communion Plate: - Goodricke impaling Benson. First Argent on a Fesse Gules between two Lions passant guardant Sable, a Fleur-de-lis Or between as many Crescents Argent, Second Argent three Trefoils in bend Sable Cotised Gules. Motto (Leal Y Libre) "Loyal yet free."

On the death of Sir Henry Goodricke, the 2nd Bart. the Baronetcy and estate of Ribston devolved upon his half-brother John, only son of Sir John, the first Baronet, by his second wife Elizabeth, relict of William, third Viscount Fairfax, of Gilling Castle.  Sir John, the 3rd Bart. was born 16th October 1654 and therefore fifty-one years of age at the time of succeeding to his paternal estates.  In early life he had resided at Haddockstones, near Ripon, a property he inherited under his father's will, but in 1705 when Ribston fell to him he was residing at Altofts Hall, Normanton, which was then a fine Elizabethan mansion, built by Admiral Frobisher, purchased by Sir Francis Goodricke and bequeathed by him to this nephew John.

There is nothing of importance to record about Sir John, the 3rd Bart.  He had a family of five sons and five daughters.  He enjoyed Ribston only nine months, dying on 19th December 1705.  (Vide Goodricke History).  His eldest son Henry, born 8th September 1677 succeeded to Ribston at the age of twenty-eight.  At the age of seventeen he received a commission as ensign in Lieutenant-Colonel William Ashton's Company of the lst Foot Guards, commanded by the Earl of Romney.  He was a Justice of the Peace for the West Riding and High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1718.

Sir Henry appears to have loved his home where he spent his life in quiet and retired devotion to arboriculture, the improvement of his estate and the general happiness of his tenants.  It is to him Ribston Park and gardens now owe some of their finest and rarest trees as also that delicious apple known as the "Ribston Pippin."

He married 26 April 1707 in York Minster, Mary, only surviving daughter of Tobias Jenkyns, Esq., of Grimstone, Co. York by this wife Lady Mary, second daughter of Charles Paulet first Duke of Bolton, and died 21st July 1738, leaving issue four sons and four daughters.

His eldest son John who was the fifth Baronet succeeded him in Title and Estate.  Sir John Goodricke, 5th Bart. was born at Ribston 20th May 1708.  He was thirty years of age when he succeeded to Ribston and he lived to enjoy his ancestral home for fifty-one years, a much longer period than had been granted to any of his predecessors.

He married at the early age of twenty-three, (28 Sept. 1731) at Hendon, Co. Midd.  Miss Mary Benson a natural daughter of Robert Benson, Lord Bingley, who had died on the 9th April in the same year.

Sir John had issue, an only surviving son, Henry, born at Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, 6th April 1741.  A daughter, Mary, was born at Ribston 23rd October 1732 but she died in the following July.  Another daughter, Harriet, was born at Bingley House, London, 9th March 1739 but she also died in infancy (1746).

The quiet life led by his father at Ribston does not appear to have appealed very strongly to Sir John.  Three years after succeeding to his paternal acres we find him at Boulogne in France, and in March 1745 he was at Rotterdam making a very strong appeal to Sir Thomas Robinson, British Ambassador at Vienna to obtain for him a commission in the Wallon Regiment of Prince Charles as he was "extremely desirous to be in the Queen of Hungary's Troops and to serve the Glorious Defenders of the Cause of Liberty."   (Add. M.S. 23819, p. 422).   He begs Sir Francis to use his interest to obtain for him this commission, as a Captain and thus place him under "eternal obligations."  Whether or not his commission was obtained I do not know but in August 1750 Sir John commenced a career in the Diplomatic world, which continued for twenty-three years during which time (1750-1773) he appears to have resided almost entirely abroad, in the discharge of several important positions under the State.

On 18th August 1750 Sir John was appointed Resident at the Court of Brussels, eight years later (14 March 1758) he was appointed

 "Resident at the Court of the King of Sweden"

though he appears to have acted as British Minister in Denmark, and to have resided at Copenhagen.  (Signet Office Docquet Books and Foreign Office Calendars).

In February 1764, he was appointed
"His Britannic Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary to the Court at Stockholm"

 with effect as from 20th December 1763.  The Signet Office Docquet Books at Record Office contain warrants to pay him £2 per day on his appointment as Resident at the Court of Brussels, 18 August 1750; £300 for his equipage and £3 per day on his appointment to the Court of Sweden, March 14th 1758; and £5 per day from 20th December 1763.

His appointment to Stockholm on 14th March 1758 does not appear to have taken immediate effect, as he seems to have continued to reside at Copenhagen.  His secretary Charles F. Sheridan in his "History of the late Revolution in Sweden" 1783 p.p. 201, 204, writes that in 1763 Sir John was at Copenhagen until after the war, left there at the end of that year and arrived at Stockholm in April 1764.

This agrees with one batch of Sir John's Correspondence in the Brit Museum Library (Hardwicke Papers Add. M.S. 35885, p.p. 99-142).   He remained as British Envoy Extraordinary at Stockholm from 1764 to his retirement in 1773.  (It may be here noted that Charles Francis Sheridan was second son of Thomas and Frances Sheridan and elder brother of the celebrated Richard Brinsley Sheridan, 1751-1816.  Charles F. Sheridan was appointed Secretary to the Legation in Sweden in May 1772.  It was while he was on his journey to Stockholm that his brother Richard fought his second duel at Bath with Mr. Mathews in which he nearly lost his life. "Sheridan" by W.F. Rae, Vol. I. 197).

In the Manuscript department of the British Museum Library there is, dispersed over many files, a voluminous correspondence between Sir John and various high officers of state, between the years 1750 and 1773.  A careful examination of this would undoubtedly reveal much of great political interest for at that time Sweden occupied a vastly different position in Europe to that she now holds, but I have not had the time at my disposal to devote to this research work.  In his work entitled "A Queen of Tears" or the History of Caroline Matilda, wife of Christian VII, Mr. W.H. Wilkins says that Sir John was nominated Minister Plenipotentiary to Sweden, but through the intrigues of the French Government he never got nearer to Stockholm than Copenhagen.  This is, of course, quite incorrect as the heavy correspondence from Sir John in the B. Mus. Liby. Shows.  At pages' 136-147 of his book, Mr. Wilkins relates a story about Sir John's relationship with Anna Catherine Bathaken who went by the nickname of "Storlep Katerine" or "Catherine of the Gaiters" while he was resident at Copenhagen.  After Sir John's departure from that City, Catherine became mistress to the new King of Denmark and Norway, Christian VII a semi-idiot, over whom she gained a great ascendancy.  I do not propose to repeat this story - it can be read, if desired, in Mr. Wilkin's book.

As we have seen, Sir John Goodricke commenced his diplomatic resident at Stockholm in the spring of 1764.  In 1766 the celebrated French artist Lundberg painted his portrait in pastel at Stockholm, and a photograph of this same picture now in my possession, is here presented.  It represents Sir John in Court dress scarlet velvet coat, salmon silk vest, the whole elaborately embroidered in gold, lace cravat, etc.  The King of Sweden, Adolphus Frederick died in 1771 and was succeeded by his eldest son Gustavus III.  The condition of Sweden was deplorable and Gustavus finding himself little better than a hostage for the maintenance of existing anarchy at once turned his thoughts towards the bold project of a revolution as the only means of saving his country from utter ruin.  A revolution headed by a King was a somewhat anomalous expedient but Gustavus planned this revolution so skilfully that it was carried out at Stockholm on 19th August 1772 with the greatest success and without the loss of a single life!  Sir John Goodricke was a close and deeply interested spectator of this event.  He was, "by common consent the most quick-witted and keen-sighted of the whole diplomatic corps" and appears to have been the first to possess direct proof of the King's designs.  In addition to the exhaustive account of Gustavus III in the Encyc. Brit., Vol. 12. p. 736, interesting accounts of the Swedish revolution of 1772, the immediate consequences of which threatened to involve Europe in a general war, will be found in Bains Gustavus III etc. 1894, and C. F. Sheridan's "History of the late revolution"1783.
In the year 1773 an event occurred which caused Sir John, then in his sixty-sixth year, to resign his appointment at Stockholm and to return to England.  That event was the death, on 21st February, of George Fox Lane, second Baron Bingley, who left his beautiful domain of Bramham Park and many other properties to Sir John and Lady Goodricke for their lives.  Sir John's probable retirement was foresaw by Thomas Sheridan in a letter he wrote to his son Charles, Sir John's secretary under date 16th March 1773.  Sheridan said: -

"Sir J. Goodricke has by the death of some Lord come into a considerable fortune.  If so, it is probable he may entirely relinquish his present post for which I should be extremely sorry, as I fear it would not be easy to find a successor of such abilities to give you information or such humanity to make your situation agreeable."  (Temple Bar, March 1900. p. 398)

The "Annual Register" under date 29 November 1773 announces the appointment of Lewis de Visme, A.M. as Envoy Extraordinary to Sweden in the room of Sir John Goodricke

"Who has obtained his Majesty's permission to resign." (See also  Signet Office Docquet Books).

While at the Swedish court the King, Gustavus, presented Sir John with a very fine miniature portrait of himself set in gold, and to Lady Goodricke the Queen presented a ring.  These two interesting relics which I have seen and which were offered to me at an extravagant price were formerly the property of the late Mrs. Fairfax of Gilling Castle, Sir John's grand-daughter, and all now in the possession of Mrs. Randolph, wife of Rev. E.S.L. Randolph.

Sir John and his Lady now returned to their native county and took up their residence at Bramham Park which place it is on record (Batham's Baronetage) Sir John preferred to his paternal estate while Ribston was Lady Goodricke's favourite home.  Sir John was made a Privy Councillor to George III, September lst 1773 and he was M.P. for Ripon. 



BENSON, ROBERT, BARON BINGLEY. (1676-1731), politician, was the son of Robert Benson, of Wrenthorpe. Yorkshire a gentleman described by the proud Lord Strafford as ‘an attorney, and of no great character for an honest man,’ and by Sir John Reresby in his ‘Memoirs’ (ed. 1735), p. 23, as a man of mean extraction and of little worth by Dorothy daughter of Tobias Jenkins, MP. for York city. ‘who afterwards married Sir Henry’ Belasyse. From his father the younger Benson inherited an estate of £1,500 a year, which, in spite of very ‘handsome’ living, he largely augmented In later years. In 1702 he was returned to parliament for the borough of Thetford, retaining his seat I until 1705, when he was elected for the city of York, and continued to represent it until his elevation to the peerage. He began life as a whig, but was induced to join the tories, though he remained ‘very moderate’ in the expression of his political views. In Harley’s administration he became a lord of the treasury (10 Aug. 1710), and when his chief was elevated to the peerage Benson became chancellor and under-treasurer of the exchequer and a privy councillor (Jane 1711). These appointments were retained by him until he was raised to the peerage, 21 July 1713, as Baron Bingley, of Bingley, Yorkshire, a creation, which led to some indignation among the more rigid members of the peerage, and provoked some pleasantries fleer his want of a coat of arms. Charles Ford writing to Swift at this time said that Lord Bingley had ‘disobliged both sides so much that neither will ever own him, but not withstanding this prophecy he was appointed (December 1713) ambassador extraordinary to the court of’ Spain. In 1730 the post of treasurer of the household was conferred on him, but. he held it only for a year. He died on 9 April 1731, aged 55, and was buried on 14 April in St. Paul’s chapel, Westminster Abbey. Through the friendship of Lord Dartmouth he was introduced to and married, at St. Giles-in-the-fields Middlesex, 21 Dec. 1703 Lady Elizabeth Finch. eldest daughter of the first Earl of Aylesford. She died 26 Feb. 1757, and was buried with her husband in St. Paul’s chapel. A copy of verses on her vanity in. old age is printed in Horace Walpole’s ‘Letters’ (ii. 205). They’ had issue one daughter, Harriet. (Who inherited £100,000. in cash and £7,000. a year in land), the wife of George Fox, who afterwards took the name of Lane and was created Baron Bingley in 1762. Robert Benson, Lord Bingley, had an illegitimate daughter Mary to whom he left large sums. Mary, the natural daughter of Robert Benson, Baron Bingley. Lord Bingley was cousin to Sir John Goodricke, his mother being Dorothy, daughter of Tobias Jenkyns, Esq., of Grimstone, and half-sister to Mary Lady Goodricke, Sir John's mother. He also left a considerable Legacy to Anna Maria, wife of John Burgoyne. and, in certain eventualities the residue of his estate to her son and his godson, John Burgoyne, the general. Horace rd Walpole said (Letters, vi. 494) that the general was a natural son of Lord Bingley, in and the statement has been often repeated, but it does not seem to rest on any foundation of fact. Lord Bingley took great interest in architecture; Harcourt House, Cavendish Square, London, was built by him in 1722, and originally called Bingley House.

Notes and points of interest.

Sir John Goodricke, fifth baronet (1708–1789), diplomatist, was born at Ribston, near Knaresborough, on 20 May 1708, the eldest of three sons (there were no daughters) of Sir Henry Goodricke, fourth baronet (1677–1738), and his wife, Mary, daughter of Tobias Jenkins of Grimston, Yorkshire. His childhood years were spent on the family estate, in country pursuits, and within an atmosphere of physical and spiritual well-being where books and polite conversation abounded. After receiving his early education from a tutor he entered Trinity College, Cambridge, as a fellow-commoner in 1725; he took his BA in 1728 and his MA in 1734. It was at Cambridge that he refined the traits most commonly associated with him in later years: self-discipline, perseverance, and a sound if not creative intellect.

On 28 September 1731 Goodricke married his second cousin Mary, natural daughter of Robert Benson, Baron Bingley (bap. 1676, d. 1731), politician; her mother was the daughter of James Sill, a mercer from Wakefield. They had two sons and one daughter. Goodricke succeeded as fifth baronet on 21 July 1738; left with an encumbered estate he spent some difficult years in attempting to restore the family fortune. These attempts, none too successful, ranged from various business ventures to a stint in the Netherlands from 1745 to 1747 as observer for the British government, gathering intelligence on the French army, navy, and court. In 1750, thanks to his Yorkshire connections, he was appointed as British resident in Brussels, an appointment suddenly revoked for reasons unknown. He remained in The Hague from 1751 to 1757, conducting informal discussions with the Dutch about the barrier treaty and gaining valuable diplomatic experience. He also established friendships with the British minister Joseph Yorke (later Baron Dover) and his brother Philip (Viscount Royston and later second earl of Hardwicke), both sons of Philip Yorke, first earl of Hardwicke, lord chancellor.

It was through their influence that Goodricke was appointed as minister-resident to Sweden in 1758; he had to wait in Copenhagen until 1764 before the Swedish government resumed diplomatic relations with Britain that had been severed at the outset of the Seven Years' War. During his enforced stay in Copenhagen, Goodricke, whose wife had remained in England, had a very public affair with Stöulet Katrine (Jackboot Kate), a ballet dancer, and also mastered the Swedish language. He was finally received officially in Stockholm on 25 April 1764 and remained there until 1773. He collaborated closely with the Russian ambassador, Count Ostermann, and worked to secure a defensive alliance with Sweden (1766), to safeguard British trade, and to prevent France's resurgence in the Baltic by supporting the pro-Russian party of the Caps in their resistance to the pro-France Hats. The principal triumph of his mission to Stockholm was the emphatic victory won by the Caps at the election in 1765, which ousted the Hats from government posts. However, hopes that the Anglo–Swedish connection would lead to a Russian alliance did not materialize, as successive British administrations proved unwilling to provide the peacetime subsidies and co-operation in Poland that the Russians demanded. French influence revived after the coup d'état of 19 August 1772, by which Gustavus III, a protégé of France, restored royal absolutism.

Goodricke relinquished his Stockholm appointment in 1773, following his wife's succession to the Yorkshire seat of Bramham Park, which brought sudden wealth; he was then free to take his ease as a country gentleman, and devote himself to estate and agricultural improvement. He was elected to parliament for Pontefract in 1774; he supported Lord North's government on the American War of Independence and was in favour of granting further relief to protestant dissenters. He did not stand for re-election to the parliament of 1780 but he was elected for Ripon in 1787 and was appointed a commissioner of the Board of Trade in 1788. He died in New York on 6 August 1789 and was buried in Hunsingore, Yorkshire.

Henry Goodricke Sixth Bart.Sir Henry Goodricke sixth Baronet, only surviving son of Henry Goodricke, Esq, of York, and grandson of Sir John, fifth Baronet, was twenty-four years old when he succeeded to the title and family estates. He married at Mold, Co. Flint, 30th November, 1796, Charlotte, fourth daughter of the Right Honourable James Fortescue, of Ravensdale Park, in Ireland, and sister to William Charles, second Viscount Claremont.

Henry Goodricke Sixth Bart.Sir Henry Goodricke sixth Baronet, only surviving son of Henry Goodricke, Esq, of York, and grandson of Sir John, fifth Baronet, was twenty-four years old when he succeeded to the title and family estates. He married at Mold, Co. Flint, 30th November, 1796, Charlotte, fourth daughter of the Right Honourable James Fortescue, of Ravensdale Park, in Ireland, and sister to William Charles, second Viscount Claremont and by her, he had an only son, Harry James, born in Dublin 26th September,
Sir Henry died in the prime of life, 23rd March 1802, and was buried in the vault at Hunsingore. By his will, dated 9th December, 1801 proved at York 31st July, 1802, he appointed his wife Charlotte, William Charles Fortescue, Peregrin Dealtry, and Edward Wolley Esq., guardians of his son, then only four years of age.


Sir Harry James Goodrick seventh Baronet, was born in N. Earl Street, Dublin, 16th September, 1797 He was baptized at the Parish Church of St. Thomas, Dublin, 23rd October, 1797 and this baptism was publicly declared and confirmed in the Chapel at Ribston, 30th July, 1798 in the presence of Sir Henry Goodricke his father, and the Rev. Henry Goodricke, then Vicar of Hunsingore. He inherited an estate which, at the time, was spoken of and acknowledged to be one of the finest in the northern counties. Ribston, the home of his ancestors for three hundred years.

Just some of the events surrounding the death of Sir Harry James Goodricke in 1833.

How did Sir Harry Goodricke actually die?
The story of the circumstances surrounding Sir Harry’s death, written down by a female family member shortly after Sir Harry died in 1833.

 Some peoples thoughts never published until now, but well speculated on at the time and talked about by many long after the event. As to its validity I know not, but I can understand why the speculation, so many questions unanswered and also some mysterious and unusual events followed in the ensuing years, but that’s another story for another time. The reader must make his or her own mind up as to what happened on that fateful night and why.
Before taking up the story a back ground of the man and his interests. Sir Harry James Goodricke a fabulously wealthy young man, the seventh Baronet, was born in North Earl Street, Dublin, 16th September, 1797 He was baptized at the Parish Church of St. Thomas, Dublin, 23rd October, 1797 and this baptism was publicly declared and confirmed in the Chapel at Ribston Yorkshire, 30th July, 1798 in the presence of Sir Henry Goodricke the sixth Baronet his father, his mother Lady Charlotte Goodricke (*formally Fortescue of Ravensdale Park Ireland) and the Rev. Henry Goodricke, then Vicar of Hunsingore. He inherited an estate, which, at the time, was spoken of and acknowledged to be one of the finest in the northern counties. Ribston the Goodricke family seat for the Yorkshire branch of the family, the home of his ancestors for three hundred years. This place was full, of memories with so much of interest for the possessor of such a patrimony.
Sir Harry, however, appears to have thought lightly of these things his father's early death no doubt tending to dull the effect, that his family history and traditions would otherwise have made on his mind. He was a sportsman of some note interested as many at that time, with a more than ample bank balance to indulge his interest in racing hunting, the prize ring. A quote taken from the Norfolk and Norwich Notes and Queries June 21, 1902 as can be seen he was in good company “Norfolk patrons of pugilism (fist fighting) In looking over some old records of the prize ring, many well-known Norfolk names were active supporters.
There was Sir Charles Brown, of Clenchwarton, who smuggled Jack Teasdale down from London, disguised as his groom, and matched him under the name of Johnson, against Joe Cox, the Norwich blacksmith. Another West Norfolk sportsman was Mr Goold, the horse-dealer of Swaffham, backer of Peter Warren, who fought Cox at Elsing in 1828. A large interest from the Swaffham area in that contest Mr Morse, the brewer; Mr Claxton, the coachbuilder; Mr W Rix, corn merchant; Edward Seppings, auctioneer, and others, all put their money on Warren.
Among those who constantly drove over to Swaffham during the training of the pugilist were Sir Henry Bedingfield, of Oxburgh Hall, "in his stylish curricle"; Andrew Fountaine, from Narford Hall, "famous for its art treasures", collected by the ancestor of the present owner, who had been Chamberlain to Caroline, Queen of George IV and bosom friend of Pope; young Jephson, from Cressingham Manor House, "in his dashing tandem;" Sir Harry Goodricke of (Holyoake, Goodricke, and Co, bankers, Wolverhampton) "with his team of roans", from Clermont Lodge; (Clermont hunting lodge inherited by the Goodricke`s at the marriage of Sir Henry Goodricke sixth Baronet and Lady Charlotte Goodricke (formally Fortescue of Ravensdale Park Ireland) Sir Richard Sutton, "in his well-known mail phaeton and greys", from Lynford-hall; Sir W Brown ffolkes, of Hillington Hall, "always mounted on his wonderful cob, whom he had christened Belcher, after the illustrious James of that ilk, and which carried 18 stone without an effort"; Edmund Elsden, "of timber-dealing fame", and jolly Jem Allsebrook, the tanner, who drove over together in the spicy yellow gig of the former.
Cox, the Norwich man, had an equally distinguished following. "Young Mr Gurney, son of the great banker of Earlham Hall, used to drive William out every morning in his dogcart to take his breathers on the country roads"; Major Cubitt, of the Upper Close; Edward Lubbock, of Bethel Street; Capt Maingaye, RN (Mingay); Mr Chettleburgh, Mr W Durrant, Capt Banks, of Thorpe; Bartholomew Earl, and Mr Upcroft, the auctioneer, were all good supporters of the man.
In addition to those above-named, there were at the fight Major Case, of Testerton Hall, "with his florid face and silvery hair, the picture of a fine old English gentleman"; the Hon W R Rous, of Worstead, elder brother of the Admiral, then commanding the Rainbow frigate in the East Indies"; Lord Charles Townshend of Rainham, "the renowned cocker"; Lord Walsingham, of Merton Hall; Mr Wyrley-Birch, of Wretham Hall, "famous for his breed of setters", who drove over "in his tandem-cart, with Mr Bingham Waring, MP, beside him". From the same neighbourhood came "an immensely stout gentleman, weighing upwards of 23 stone, whose neatly dressed figure and shrewd good-humoured face were well known to everyone" - Thomas Thornhill, of Riddlesworth, owner of three Derby winners, Emilius, Sam, and Sailor.
Dereham put in Mr Lee Warner, of Quebec House, and the Hon J G Milles, of Elmham Hall; and “Young Mr Lacon, son of the well-known banker, of Ormesby Hall”, represented Yarmouth. From Norwich and its environs came Sir William Beauchamp Proctor, of Langley Park; Sir Robert Kerrison Harvey, of Thorpe; Lord George Stafford, of Costessey Hall; Sir Hanson Berney, of Kirby Hall, "whose hair had grown white in a single night from fright at the apparition of his murdered brother"; and Col Wodehouse, of Witton Hall.”
Harry Goodricke`s chief pleasure was hunting, his time, during the season, being entirely devoted to its pursuit.

Sir Harry James Goodricke 7th Bart of Ribston Hall. The following obituary notices I copied from the Gentleman's Magazine, for 1833, Vol 103, and part ll. page 368.
"Aug. 22. At Ravensdale Park, Co. Louth, in his 36th year. Sir Harry James Goodricke, the seventh Baronet, of Ribston Hall, Yorkshire.
"This wealthy Nimrod was born September 26th 1797, the only son of Sir Henry, the sixth Baronet, by Charlotte, second daughter of the Right Hon. James Fortescue, of Ravensdale Park. Co. Louth. He succeeded to the Baronetcy when only in the fifth year of his age, on the death of his father, March 23rd 1802, and was educated at Rugby. The death of his maternal uncle William-Charles, second and last Viscount Clermont, in March 1829 left him possessed of very large estates in Ireland; and the aggregate of his income is said to have amounted to £40,000. plus per annum. He served the office of Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1831.
"Sir Harry Goodricke had been known in Leicestershire for the last ten years as a leading member of the Quorn Hunt, of which he became Master on the retirement of Lord Southampton two years ago. He kept the whole of the establishment at his own expense, and resided during the winter season, in conjunction with Lords Gardiner and Rokeby, and L. Gilmore, Esq., in a spacious house at Melton Mowbray. At Thrussington, about seven miles from that town, he only in his last year completed a fine range of stabling, kennels, etc.; and his stud usually averaged between fifty and sixty of the finest horses. At the period of his death seventy-five capital hunters were in his stables, ready to commence the next season with renewed vigour and spirit. In the voluntary duties which he had assumed, Sir Harry Goodricke was exceedingly popular, and his courtesy, hospitality and attention was as fully in evidence towards the neighbouring farmers as to the opulent and tided members of the Hunt.

His life was finally sacrificed to his ardour in all the pursuits of the sportsman. He had experienced an attack of influenza, from which he had scarcely recovered, when he sailed in his yacht to visit his Irish estates. He was their superintending considerable improvement, and when indulging in his Favourite sport, otter hunting, caught a severe cold, which proved fatal in forty-eight hours.
He had promised to join a numerous circle of noblemen, and gentlemen in the Highlands during the present shooting season. Many of them had already arrived at his shooting-box, Marr Lodge, Braemar on the river Dee Aberdeenshire which he recently purchased off the Earl of Fife, and" the feelings of the guests may be better conceived than described, on the intelligence of the premature demise of their hospitable host."

Sir Harry’s programme goes to Ireland and oversees the improvements to his Irish Estate from here to join his acquaintances and friends at his new shooting box in Scotland for his birthday celebrations.

We take up the story with Sir Harry’s departure to Ireland.

In August 1833, having shortly recovered from influenza Sir Harry eager to see the new building work being carried out at Ravensdale Park in co Louth, took his yacht and set sailed with his acquaintance Francis Lyttleton Holyoake, the weather not being very kind, heavy rain with very cold northerly winds not the weather you might expect for August at all. On arrival not wanting to waste a single moment the two men set out Otter hunting Sir Harry’s favourite sport speculating on the day’s bag, the banter well known with Sir Harry’s circle friends and acquaintances had begun. Food wine and ale in large quantities got together hurriedly by the serving staff loaded into a small gig Sir Harry’s favourite horse saddled barley waiting to catch his breath called up the dogs and they were off, jostling each other to see who could get to the Otter grounds first. On arrival the hunting started almost without missing a beat by the time lunch was served in picnic style not being put of by the rain. Sir Harry had a great deal to drink, not stopping to dry himself soaked to the skin the hunting carried on. It was almost dark when the two men both worst the wear for the drink raced off to see who would be first back to the house. The staff left to clear up the bag and make way home. As far as can be ascertained no one set eyes on either man until the next morning. Holyoake’s account follows “I must have arrived first, settling into an arm chair by a large fire fell asleep not waking until about 8`o`clock the next morning” a member of staff remembers Holyoake shouting for his breakfast demanding wine and Oysters. Sir Harry was no where to be found in the house, at about 10`o`clock a search was mounted on the Estate by 10.30 am Sir Harry was found by a large tree in the grounds quite near the house his horse still standing by him. Still soaking wet Sir Harry barley conscious, was carried back to the house pale and shivering with the cold. The staff sent a stable lad for the village doctor while others got Sir Harry to bed the doctor arrived at midday the stable lad had found him tending another patient and got him to come at once. After examining Sir Harry who was now suffering from a fever and shaking enough to make his bones rattle the doctor tolled Holyoake that “Sir Harry had a sever cold possible a recurrence of influenza”, at this point Holyoake sent for the Captain of the yacht its not quite clear why but he stayed at the house running errands Holyoake also sent for Sir Harry’s solicitor from Dublin to make Harry a will? Holyoake taking over the situation becoming very agitated and unapproachable.
Within forty-eight hours Sir Harry would be dead from pneumonia.

Why when a Will was made just a few weeks before was the solicitor sent for? I speculate maybe this had not been signed and Holyoake could not miss out on this little lot, being the main beneficiary. It’s a fact that Sir Harry and Holyoake were into business ventures together Holyoake the ideas man Sir Harry the financier, for one The Holyoake, Goodricke, and Co, Bankers, Wolverhampton 1825 .Again I speculate was the will to guarantee a business venture? I believe a mortgage was held on the Ribston Estate not under Sir Harry but Holyoake and that no money cash changed hands when it was sold? It appears that Holyoake was up to his eyes in gambling and gaming dept. Perhaps Holyoake realising the loss of his benefactor allowed events to take over who can say?
Did no one miss Sir Harry that night friend acquaintance or staff if you had just own a race would you not have been eager to flout the advantage?
Back to the will, if Sir Harry confirmed this will on his death bed, was he of sound mind? ” Sir Harry who was now suffering from a fever and shaking enough to make his bones rattle” the doctor tolled Holyoake that Sir Harry had a sever cold, possible pneumonia. It is very possible that Sir Harry was delirious and unfit non compos mentis.
Holyoake now took possession of Ribston, which he let temporarily, and in 1836 entered into negotiations with Mr. George Robins, the well-known estate agent of the day, for its sale, and in September 1836 this property was sold to Joseph Dent, Esq. Mr. Robins stated in a pamphlet which he published in 1840, that he was prohibited by Mr. Holyoake (then Sir Francis Littleton Holyoake-Goodricke) from any public announcement of the intended sale, and not even allowed to mention the name of the property, Sir Francis being desirous that the transfer should take place with as little publicity as possible. The following is a copy of the circular Mr. Robins drew up in September 1836, for distribution among capitalists.
Mr. George Robins has been instructed to offer, by private treaty, to the attention of the monied world, one of the Most Important Landed Investments that has been in the market since the memorable time of 1825 when he had the good fortune to sell the extensive estates of the Earl of Ormonde. In this case it is only intended to give a very faint outline, as the full particulars will be reserved for those only who are disposed to embark in this most favourable opportunity to invest largely and in perfect security.
"The property is situated in the most favoured part of Yorkshire, not far distant from Weatherby and Ferrybridge: it embraces a mansion of importance, with extensive grounds in the highest possible order, hot and Succession houses of great extent and which are at present most respectably but inadequately let with the extensive gardens. The offices of every description are in good keeping with the residence.
"The estate surrounding it, which may be termed a little principality, extends to 4,110 acres of land, in the highest possible state of cultivation, lying entirely within a ring fence, the reduced rental from which is £5860 a year.
"It may be well to observe, and especially to those who have been led to believe that a present rental is not a Criterion always to be relied on, that the whole estate was re-let, and a considerable abatement made, so lately as Lady-day, 1835, at a time, it should be remembered, when agricultural pursuits had put on a most unfavourable and cheerless aspect. The present income is therefore one that must induce a purchaser to rely on a considerable augmentation; and if an additional argument would be needed, it will be found in the short analysis that will presently follow


Meadow and Pasture Land 1300
Plantations and Woods 144
Gardens and Pleasure Grounds 16
Amble Land 2650
Total . . . 4110

Value of the mansion and grounds, manors and manorial rights. It is nearly exempt from tithe and an unusually low poor rate; there is also a valuable advowson.
"It may be well to observe here, that a deduction for land tax and other matters will reduce the rental about £200 a year. The clear rental would be nearly £5,000 a year.
Mr. Robins will be but too happy to confer with those who are seriously disposed to purchase, and he can assure them most confidently that, as it regards the present investment, he can give them the most satisfactory information."

Sir Harry’s York solicitor was unable or unwilling to provide the deeds for Ribston at the time the Deeds turning up some years later. Perhaps held as guarantee or was it a suspicion of foul play why was Sir Harry’s will not made by this man instead of the solicitor in Dublin to many questions not enough answers.

The fact is the Will presented was dated 25th July 1833, and proved at London 27th November 1833, and Administration granted to Francis Lyttelton Holyoake Esquire., Executor.
Witnesses, R. Duncombe; J. Shafto, Whitworth Park, Durham; Travers Wright of Dundalk ,Co Louth; Fetherston H. Briscoe of Rutland Sq., Dublin, Solicitors. In brief below:-


At this point I refer to the family notes of Georgina Mary Goodricke daughter of George Michael Goodricke and Ada Mary Goodricke of Sands Lodge Bedford, 26th August 1894.
At page 42 of the history of the Goodricke Family she records in the margin that Sir H.J.G (Harry James Goodricke) had a natural daughter named Susan Jacques, who lived with Lady G. (Lady Goodricke) at Hampton House and died 16th Feb 1845 aged 17, She was buried in Hampton Church yard Where C.A.G (Charles Alfred Goodricke) in 1886 recorded that he had seen her grave stone. Susan appears not to be mentioned as a beneficiary in the full will recorded at the end of this work. (PDF Abstract of Goodricke Wills)


Sir Harry’s remains were brought over and interred in the Goodricke vault at Hunsingore Church near Ribston Yorkshire. Not before the funeral party had stopped in Wetherby for refreshments the party very noisy drunk and disorderly were reprimanded by the landlord of the Inn for lack of respect, his reply "no more than Sir Harry would have done for any one of us".
"Out of respect for the memory of Sir Harry".
Memories of rollicking and disreputable scenes Holyoake doubtless had in abundance, but none of real respect. At all events Holyoake showed his pretended respect for Sir Harry in a curious way for, instead of taking up his residence at Ribston as might have been expected he immediately let the residence furnished and set about the disposal of it and every Goodricke acre as early as decency would permit. Ribston was eventually sold in 1836 to Mr. Joseph Dent Dent of Appleby in Lincolnshire for the sum of £180,000. Mr. George Robins, the agent who carried out the sale was so disgusted with Holyoake for cheating him out of £1,000 of his remuneration that he published in 1840 a fifty page pamphlet describing the whole transaction.


Foot Notes From the Book “Mrs Fitzherbert and sons”


By Jim & Philippa Foord-Kelcey.




1825-1878 George Payne of Sulby Hall


When Maria arrived at Sulby Hall Eleanor told her how she had distributed the fortune which Rene Payne's executors had wrongly awarded to George. She expressed the hope that her eldest son, William Ralph, would buy himself an estate in the shires when he came of age.


She then broke the news of George's relationship with her daughter Elizabeth Martha. She explained that they were in love and that George had sworn that he would never marry any other girl and her daughter would not look at any other man. Her other worry was that, one day, someone would notice that she had five children; not the four she was known to have had at her husband's tragic death. Maria offered to ask Frederick if he would have John at Tours as his assistant and after a short exchange of correspondence this was arranged. Within a few months John had joined Frederick and was learning the' job. Eleanor's family at Sulby was reduced to four again!


The situation with George was most worrying to Maria. People were already wondering how it was that a young man of his exceptional charm, popularity and worldly endowment remained unmarried despite the numerous eligible young ladies who laid themselves at his feet. If George declared publicly that there was no impediment to their marriage, it-* her eldest son bought Pitstone Hall where he lived until he died in 1859.' He had been called William Ralph to distinguish him from Maria's son, the other William of Sulby Hall, but historically they got confused.-wouldput the family secret at risk. They wanted to continue to live in the district and in the home they loved. It was eventually decided that their only recourse was to pay someone to give Elizabeth a respectable married name and for them to live together as man and wife. George's situation was somewhat unique, but similar and less innocent expedi­ents were not unknown, particularly in the private lives of Royal Dukes and Princes.


George engaged an agent to find a man who needed money urgently, wanted status, not a wife, and was prepared to sell the use of his name.


In 1827 at the age of twenty-two Elizabeth Martha Payne assumed the name `Mrs Holyoake'. There is no mention in the Welford Parish Records of this marriage. Soon after, her `brother' George Payne made substantial extensions to his home, Sulby Hall. On 28 January 1830 the Parish Records of Welford registered the baptism of Francis Lyttleton son of Francis Lyttleton Holyoake and Elizabeth Martha of Sulby. This child may have died in infancy. In 1833 Francis Holyoake succeeded to his father's estate at Studley in Warwickshire, and built a house which he called Studley Castle. He assumed the name 'Goodricke'. Two years later he was created first Baronet of Studley Castle. Elizabeth Martha became Lady Goodricke. In 1836 Elizabeth had a son, Harry, who was educated at Rugby School and entered the 90th Light Infantry at the age of eighteen. He served in the Crimean War and was severely wounded, receiving the Crimean medal and clasp. Elizabeth had a third son, George, and four daughters.


In 1842 Sir Francis Goodricke became Master of the Pytchley Hunt, which fulfilled another of his ambitions. By 1863 he was bankrupt and had to sell Studley Castle. Two years later he died and Harry Goodricke became the second Baronet.


George Payne of Sulby became a very well-known figure in the hunting, racing and gambling world and much has been written about him, mostly in retrospect. In The Dictionary of National Biography the earliest source of information was the `Sporting Magazine' of 1837 when he was thirty-four and `The Illustrated News' of 1844. Other information comes from much later bibliography and would have come largely from legend.


 He was always portrayed as a mystery and the subject of much colourful gossip and rumour, a man who was spoken of with affection, respect and almost with reverence. .  He was a man who might have done anything and did nothing; still he was loved and looked up to by all who knew him, as the sealed pattern of the perfect gentleman.' Another biographer writes: `There never has been and never will be but one George Payne - a stalwart form, handsome countenance, winning smile, and a charm of manner never equalled, took captive all who came within the circle of their attraction. It would scarcely be going too far to say that no man ever possessed in the same degree a similar gift of making himself acceptable to all sorts of persons. It seemed as though he could at all times reach the soft spot in anyone's heart, be they of either sex, or in any condition of life."' Heir to a fine place and a splendid fortune, and endowed with abilities of no common order, it is no wonder that he entered public life as a sort of "Prince Camaralzaman".


On George's spending and gambling excesses much has also been written: `He came of age in 1824 and into possession of the family seat, Sulby Hall, with a rent roll of £17,000 a year ... the money disappeared in a few years together with two other large inheritances from relatives.,*


'He seems to have set out to spend as fast as possible. His coming-of-age party was fabulous.


About this Northamptonshire character a special book could be written. His colourful life encompassed a drama** as exciting as many a stage plot. As a betting man he must have been the biggest mug in history. Sometimes he would back nearly every horse in a race and still manage to miss the winner. In 1824 he lost £33,000 on one horse."


In 1824 he lost £20,000 on the St Ledger. (A different figure from the other biographer.


* It is Payne family tradition that one of the uncles owned racehorses; lost three fortunes racing and gambling; drank enough to float a battleship and spent enough to buy one.


George, being the youngest, would have received his patrimony and the legacies from his mother, and father within the short period of thirteen years. He was probably thought locally to own all the land belonging to the Secret Trust, not Sulby estate alone.


 ** This could refer either to his parentage or to his love life, or both!


His ruling passion was racing and gambling.


Payne's gambling had by this time eaten up most of his patrimony . .


He was an infatuated gambler not only on the turf but also at the card table.


George Payne was Master of the Pytchley Hunt from 1835 to 1838 and then again, succeeding Sir Francis Goodricke, from 1844 to 1848.


He is described in The Huntsman, Volume XLIV as: . . . “The very handsomest man I ever saw. From top to toe, he was and is the perfect model of an English gentleman. His face was clear and open; his eyes were grey, with dark lashes,


expressive then only of excitement at other times of purest good nature. He was about five feet eleven, and weighed about twelve stone. His dress was perfection; utterly free from the smallest taint of dandyism, it was admirably adapted for the business in hand and the person it adorned. There was no modern invention of beard and moustache, which reduces even a decent looking fellow to somewhat of the calibre of a rat-catcher's dog. His well curled black whiskers matched his short curled hair.”


William Ralph was the exact opposite of his handsome `brother' George. He was short and round with short thighs and a very bad seat. He was, however, always amusing and indomitably cheerful. George and Ralph were great compan­ions.


George's true brother William was between nine and ten years his senior but there were strong ties of kinship between them. For both, Sulby Hall was his spiritual home and their periodical separations from one another when at different schools at different times and from the rest of their family, drew them together. George and Billy was a devoted couple.


The cause and date of William's death is not known but George's loss of his brother, his father in 1830 and his mother in 1837 would have come within a short period of time. It is very likely that it was these events that led him to resign his mastership of the Pytchley Hunt and to move his true family to a far off neighbourhood where they could shake off the burden of secrecy and escape the bestirring whispers of gossip. Railways had introduced quick and comfortable travel over long distances. George still owned valuable farming properties in Northamptonshire and attended to the progressive disposal of land owned by the Family Trust for distribution to his brothers and sisters. .It was at the end of his second term of Mastership, when, in 1847, he sold Sulby Hall. His successor as Master was Viscount Alford of Ashridge near Berkhamsted (heir to Earl Brownlow).


At the age of seventy-five George Payne died at 10 Queen Street, Mayfair. In his will, made a month before his death, he left nearly allthat he possessed, valued for probate at £35,000, to his sister, Lady Elizabeth Martha Goodricke. His will did not record her address. The mystery of his family life remains




George was buried in Kensal Green cemetery among the rich and famous of his time. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, attended his funeral, which was reported in every newspaper in the country. Later, a magnificent memorial cross was erected over his grave." The inscription on the front of the monument reads:




Born at Sulby 3rd April, 1803.


Died at Queen Street, Mayfair on 2nd September 1878.




Probably unnoticed and five years later, another name was engraved on the back of the memorial:


and his nephew




Born at Studley Castle, Warwickshire, August 7th 1836. Died London October 25th 1883.


With Sir Harry's death the title died out.


* The Memorial to the two men can still be seen in the overgrown and derelict cemetery at Kensal Green in north-west London.


Mrs Fitzherbert by Hoppner.


Sir Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke eight Baronet


It is now (1833-1839) and we draw up the curtain on a new scene.  It is no longer the old Hall at Ribston overflowing with its varied memories of three centuries - for that domain had passed entirely into the hands of strangers, the Goodricke’s knew it no more - but a room in a mean house in London, Noël Star Street, Edgware Road.

This house which was occupied by a family of the name of Waterhouse afforded lodging to an old gentleman in reduced circumstances  none other than Sir Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke, the eighth Baronet who succeeded to and assumed the title on the death of Sir Harry James in 1833.

Sir Thomas was the only surviving son of Colonel Thomas Goodricke, and grandson of Sir Henry, fourth Baronet, and was born at Rochester, 24th September 1762.  He had married 2nd April 1794, Harriet, eldest daughter of the late Henry Goodricke, Esq., of York and granddaughter of Sir John, fifth Baronet, but she pre-deceased him leaving no issue.

Very little is now known of the life of Sir Thomas, but the fact that Sir Francis Lyttleton Holyoake-Goodricke gave him an annuity of £20 pounds which wretched pittance Sir Thomas accepted and drew quarterly at the counter of Messrs. Glyn Mills & Co's Bank is in itself sufficient corroboration of the fact that his means were painfully small.  He died at the house above mentioned on 9th March 1839 in his seventy-seventh year and was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

The writer paid a visit to the house in Star Street some one hundred and thirty years ago and he then found a very old man living there who well remembered the figure of Sir Thomas as he walked about the neighbourhood for exercise.

Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke was the last Baronet, and at his decease the elder branch of the Ribston Goodricke’s became extinct in the male line and the representation of the old family fell to Mr. William Goodricke of Nesham Hall, in the County of Durham, grandson of Mr. John Goodricke of Bounder House, Lamesley, and of Jarrow Grange, both in Co. Durham, who was fourth in descent from Richard Goodricke of Ribston and his wife Muriel, daughter of William, 2nd Lord Eure.
Mr. William Goodricke of Nesham Hall, above mentioned, was grandfather of the writer of these pages. Charles Alfred Goodricke.

Micklegate City of York.

Micklegate is pictured here in about 1851. The gateway to the Holy Trinity Priory was demolished in 1854 and Priory Street was built on the site of the Priory precincts, which were called Trinity Gardens and had originally been purchased by Sir John Goodricke of Ribston in the 17th Century.