GOODRICKE & GOODRICK of Ribston, Yorkshire
GOODRICKE & GOODRICK of Ribston, Yorkshire,
Created BARONET, Aug. 14th 1641.
Goodricke (Godric) History
The name Godric is SAXON and the earliest spelling I have found signifying God´s jurisdiction, tribal leader or good, or God like leader. It is mentioned by Ingulphus, and other historians of the Saxon times, and is inscribed upon several old Saxon coins. Saxons came from North Western Germany along with Angles Frisians and Jutes, about 450AD lead by Hengist and Horsa. Their arrival on the Kent coast with three longships loaded with fighting men was not, initially, an invasion, they came by invitation. Vortigern, originally a local Welsh king, ruled much of the south of England stretching as far east as Kent. He became very concerned at the anarchy in the northern parts of the country and the growing danger from the Picts. Vortigern offered a grant of land on the Isle of Thanet in return for the military services of Hengist and Horsa in the protection of that part of the coast. They did repel an enemy attack but also found them to be a cowardly lot, according to the Venerable Bede in his eighth century History of the English Church and People. They therefore sent messages to their friends and relations at home telling how easy it was to loot and take land. This lead to a clash with Vortigan in which Horsa was killed, but Hengist soon took over the whole of Kent. Angles from Schleswig-Holstein and Saxons from the region between the Elbe and the Rhine now arrived in force. The Saxons established themselves in Essex, Middlesex, Sussex, and Wessex- East, Middle South and West Saxons, While the Angles occupied Norfolk and Suffolk, -North Folk and South Folk. At the same time they were pushing further inland up the navigable reaches of the Thames, the Trent, the Ouse and the Humber with small squadrons of ships whose crews became the founders of new communities. Lighter craft found their way across the Fens, which were reverting back to swamp land since being abandoned by the Romans, to firmer ground beyond. Although the Angles gave their name to the country, Angle-Land becoming England, they were by no means the dominant partners. In spite of inter-tribal strife, the Angles, Saxons, Frisians and Jutes shared a common background and culture, which make it reasonable to refer to this strain in our ancestry as Anglo-Saxons. I have contented myself that the Goodrick family settled in the south of England in the very early days and had spread and become well off farmers, the family wealth coming from wool trading. This continued for a number of generations in the late 1400s and early 1500s Goodrick`s were members of the staple trading not only here (Boston England) but in Calais France. Merchant marks attributed to Lionel Goodrick can be seen at High Hall built about 1549 East Kirkby Co. Lincolnshire above the front door. In the Late Medieval period in England and Flanders Merchant marks (or "identity marks") were widely used by European merchants traders, and artisans for centuries. Originally employed by traders to mark their merchandise for shipping or sale (in some respects anticipating corporate logos), these marks were later claimed as personal marks in ways comparable to heraldic devices. Late medieval England and Flanders saw a huge proliferation of these marks with the increasing importance of trade. A wide variety can be found of late medieval merchant marks, as they appear on seals and signet rings, glass windows, monumental brasses, devotional books, miscellanies, paintings, and other media. Late-medieval representations of merchants in literature and visual arts indicate a widespread fascination (or frustration) with the proliferation of their marks. Moreover, the sheer variety of forms these marks could take (rebus-like configurations, splicing with heraldic devices, coexistence with ecclesiastical or guild iconography) suggests that the merchant classes did not necessarily seek to assume aristocratic trappings. I am confident, however, that a diligent search would be successful by means of our National records in tracing the family back to very remote times. It appears from the visitation of Robert Glover, Somerset herald that the family flourished for several generations at NORTINGLEY (Norton by Leigh) (It was assumed I think at transcribing by Burke that this was County Somerset may be because it was the Somerset herald how ever not necessarily so) certainly the family were present in Chilcompton, Co. Somerset in very early times. Subsequent research shows that this may have been Norton by Leigh Co. Gloucestershire. So we have Henry moving into Lincolnshire at the time of his marriage, , with heiress, the daughter of Thomas Stickford, Esq., of Co. Lincoln, and Henry being the third son of Robert Goodrick, of Norton by Leigh Co. Gloucestershire?. John Goodryke of Bolingbroke who died in 1493 was the fifth in descent from this Henry and it is this John that we can trace an unbroken male line back to. Now the Goodrick family was seated in Lincolnshire at a much earlier date than the arrival of Henry. For instance, we have Goodrick of Cunningsby, who had been a senior member of the community at Wildmore for some forty years, who acted as an arbitrator for the Soke of Horncastle and Scrivelsby in a dispute between the Barons of Bolingbroke, Horncastle, and Scrivelsby, soon after the Norman Conquest 1066. From the Subsidy Rolls, temp. Edward III. 1333, it appears that a Goodrick family was settled at Bennington, Co. Lincoln. At this point I will explain how with some differences in the spelling of the family name have been over come by the simple use of heraldry, the basic arms for Goodrick have not changed much apart for what are known as differences to distinguish between family members quartering to show the union of marriage husband in the first followed by the wife's father's Arms for some 800 years, this simplifies It, but it is very accurate and well recorded in old family pedigrees and at the Collage of Arms in London visitations and so on. This is why we can with some certainty say that if we know the Arms, we know which family they belong to (see Development of Goodrick Heraldry) e.g. the Goodrich family have entirely different coat armour to that of Goodrick. We find the same or very similar Arms recorded under several different spellings none of which are Goodrich. We have an even more remote Godric, two in fact, Abbot Godric`s at Crowland Abby one in 869ad and the other Godric of Burgh was head of the Monastery from 1005ad to 1018ad, Listed in “The Crowland Chronicle.” We have a few Godric`s that have fore names or Christian names Thomas and John that can be connected to the Goodrick families but at this point it becomes harder to find connections as we find the form changing to for e.g. Godric of Scrivelsby, Godric brother of Eadnoth Godric son of AElfhelm the younger Godric the Justice and so on, all listed in “The Saxon Charters” until we get as on the very early Saxon coin just Godric, inscribed upon several Old Saxon coins not as the leader of a nation but as the "moneyer" or striker of the coin. The Saxon Charters and the Saxon Chronicles have been translated on a number of occasions by scholar of note the former The Saxon Charters by Thorpe published in 1919-1920, would offer a great deal for further investigation but I would say that the translations are not incompatible our knowledge is increasing with more resent study and hopefully we will be able to gain a better insight into the Saxon Godric.
It would seem to point from the confirmation charter of the Confessor that the Godric name was then set to continue with its variations to date with the modern fore name e.g. Thomas followed by the now called surname Godric or Goodrick. Further study is being carried out by me and commissioned scholars into this very interesting part of our family history.
It appears from the visitation of Robert Glover, Somerset Herald, that this family flourished for several generations, at Nortingley, or Nortonlee, in Somersetshire, all whose names, (See Notes Above) marriages, and issue, are specified in the family pedigree.
At length Henry Goodricke, the third son of Robert Goodricke, of Nortingley, or today Midsomer Norton? (and the neighbouring Chilcompton), Co. Somerset, marrying an heiress, the daughter of Thomas Stickford, Esq.; in Lincolnshire, and the family flourished in that county, where, after six generations, John Goodricke (Goodryke) of Bollingbrooke Co Lincoln married Agnes Hutton John Died 1493 leaving issue foure sons and a daughter the elder son William Goodricke, of East-Kirby, Lincolnshire, Esq. married to Jane, the heiress of Mr. William Williamson, of Boston, by whom he had three sons and five daughters. The sons were, John, Thomas, and Henry, the daughters, Catherine, Margaret, Elizabeth, Anne, and Fulnetby. John, the elder, succeeded to his father's estate, and was denominated of Bolingbrook, in Lincolnshire, and married a daughter of Sir Lionel Dimock, of Maring, in that county, Knt. Thomas, the second son, was in great favour with King Henry VIII. and was employed by him, in several negotiations with foreign Princes. He was one of the thirty-two commissioners empowered to reform the canon laws, in that King's reign, and when King Edward VI, had reduced that number to eight, he was one of them. He was sent, with others, to reform the University of Cambridge, and was one of the Compilers of the English Liturgy. He was twenty years Bishop of Ely and by King Edward VI, was joined in commission with others, to carry the Order of the Garter to the French King and made oration at his being invested. The same King made him Lord Chancellor of England from which office he was removed by Queen Mary, and died, unmarried, May 10th 1554, nine months after King Edward. The Reverend Mr. Downes, in his Lives of the Compilers of the English Liturgy, gives this account of him.
This worthy Prelate was descended from an ancient and wealthy family, and was born at Kirby, in Lincolnshire, and educated at Corpus Christi College, in Cambridge He took his first degree in arts, in 1510, the same year with Cranmer and Latimer ; commenced Master in 1514; and, in 1516, was Proctor of the University. He applied himself to his studies with unwearied industry; and acquired a great reputation, for his uncommon proficiency, not only in divinity, but in the knowledge of the civil and canon law. His great merit soon recommended him to the favour of King Henry, who sent for him to Court, advised with him in the most difficult affairs of Sate, and employed him in frequent embassies to foreign Princes. In his reign he commenced Doctor or of Laws; and on April 19th, 1534, was consecrated Bishop of Ely, in Archbishop Creamer's chapel, at Croydon. He continued Bishop of that diocese more than twenty years; and finding the palace at Ely old and ruinous, at his own charge repaired and beautified it, and built a spacious and magnificent gallery on the north side of it. He was in great favourer of the Reformation; and, on account of his singular learning, was consulted with, and employed in the most important affairs relating thereto. He had a great hand in drawing, up, The Institution of a Christian an; (for a more particular account of which book, The Life of Archbishop Cranmer, p. xi, xii.) and was a sincere promoter of pure religion, and a patron to all learned men, who, he thought, might be of service, towards the abolition of the papal tyranny and superstitions, and the restitution of true primitive Christianity. Among these he had a particular esteem. Richard Cox, he made his Chaplain; and, by his interest at Court, prevailed to have the education of the young Prince Edward committed to his care.
After the death of King Henry, he was found so serviceable in promoting the regular progress of the Reformation, and so useful a counsellor in all difficult affairs both of church and state that it was thought necessary to bestow a suitable reward on him, for his great services. Accordingly, he was sworn into the Privy-council; and, in 1551, was made Lord Chancellor of England. He on this occasion was much abused by Dr. Burnet who, not content with a large invective against him, for accepting a poll, so inconsistent with the function and duty of a Clergyman, as he pretends, goes on to load his memory with a heavy accusation of inconstancy in religion, turning with every tide, and resolving not to suffer for the reformation in Queen Mary’s reign. But this is a most malicious and groundless charge, a base and unworthy slander on a person, to whom our reformed church is so much indebted. And had Dr. Burnet been but as free from those crimes, as the worthy Prelate, whom he so scurrilously reflects on, he had left a much fairer character behind him, and been in greater repute with impartial posterity, than he is now ever like to be.
But to return to Bishop Goodrick, While Chancellor, he Was admired by all, for his impartial distribution of justice; he had the blessings and prayers of the poor, and the favour and esteem of the rich. His greatest enemies could not but acknowledge him gentle, just, and gracious, and his most intimate friends, when they brought a bad cause before him, found him inflexible, severe, and unprejudiced. Having a great esteem of Bishop Day's learning, he laboured earnestly to reduce him from his prejudices, and dispose him to a favourable opinion of the Reformation, but could do no good on a man so wilful and Obstinate. He was one of those, who drew up that excellent book, The Reformation of the Ecclesiastical Laws, And at the request of King Edward, put the Great Seal to the instrument for the succession of the Lady Jane Grey. This was the reason, why, upon the fall of that Lady, the Great Seal was taken from him, within two days after Queen Mary came to London.
And though it was thought fit for the present, to let him enjoy the benefit of the general pardon, yet there is no question to be made, but that he would, amongst the rest of the Martyrs, have been brought to the stake for his religion, had he not died, on the 10th of May, 1554 at Somersham, of the stone Henry Goodricke, Esq.; the third brother, before-mentioned, purchased Ribston, and other lands in Yorkshire, of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, anno 1542, and died in 1556. He married Margaret, daughter and coheir of Sir Christopher Rawson, of London, Knt. and had several children. He was succeeded in his Yorkshire estate, by his son Richard, who was, born 1524 was High Sheriff of Yorkshire anno 1579, and died 1581. He married Clare, daughter, of Richard Norton, of Norton-Coniers, in Yorkshire, Esq.; and was succeeded in is estate, by his son Richard, who was born 1560, was also High Sheriff of Yorkshire anno 1591, and died 1601. He married Muriel, daughter of William, Lord Eure, and by her had seven sons and several daughters. He was succeeded in his estate by his eldest son.
Sir Henry Goodricke, Knt. who was born 1580 and died in July, 1641. He married Jane, the daughter of Sir John Savile, of Methly, in Yorkshire, Knt, one of the Barons of the Exchequer, who at length was heiress to he brother of the whole blood Sir Henry Savile, Bart.
There were twelve children by this marriage, of which were three daughters, Jane, and Elizabeth, who died unmarried; and Mary, married to Richard Hawksworth, of Hawksworth, in Yorkshire, Esq.; and nine sons, whereof only three survived their father, viz. Sir John, his eldest, at his death ; 2. Savile Goodricke, Esq.; who died at Vienna, aged thirty-two; and, 3. Sir Francis, who married Hester, the daughter of Peter Warburton, of the Grange, in Cheshire, Esq.; but died without issue, in August, 1674, at Durham, where he, was Chancellor.
Sir John Goodricke Knt. the eldest son, was, created Baronet by King Charles I. He was born April 20th 1617, and suffered very much in the civil wars for his loyalty to the King; and had his estate sequestered, and paid £1343-10s. 10s- composition to the sequestrates. He was prisoner first at Manchester, and then in the Tower of London; from whence he made his escape into France, where he continued till the Restoration, when he was chosen Knight of the Shire for Yorkshire, and died November 1670. He married two wives, viz. 1. Catharine, daughter and heir of Stephen, Norcliffe, Esq. by whom he had his eldest son, Sir Henry and to his second wife, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander Smith, Esq. of Suffolk, and widow to William, Lord Viscount Fairfax, of Gilling, and by her had his younger son, Sir John.
Sir Henry Goodricke, Knt. and Baronet, eldest son and successor to his father, in title and estate, was born October 24th 1642. He was Envoy Extraordinary from Charles II. King of England, to Charles II. King of Spain; and was Lieutenant General of the Ordnance, and Privy Councillor to King William I.I. He married Mary, the daughter of Colonel William Legg, and sister to George, Lord Dartmouth; but died without issue, after a long, illness, at Brentford, in Middlesex March 5th 1704-5, and was interred with his ancestors at Ribston, and was succeeded by his brother, Sir John Goodricke, Bart, who was born October 16th 1654, and died December 10th 1705. He married Sarah, the daughter of Sir Richard Hopkins, of Coventry, Knt. Serjeant at Law, by whom he left ten children at his death, viz. five sons and five daughters, 1. Sir Henry, the eldest, who succeeded him; 2. Francis, (who married Mrs. Jane Prescott and had only one daughter ;) 3. Richard, (who took Orders, but is since dead, unmarried ;) 4. John- Savile, (who married Mrs. Adeliza Herbert, and had issue, two daughters, Adeliza, and Mary ;) 5. William, (who married Mrs. Mary Russell, and had one son, Henry, and two daughters.) Sir Henry Goodricke, Bart, eldest son and successor to his father, was born Sept 8th 1677, and married Mary, the only child of Tobias Jenkins, of Grimston, in Yorkshire, Esq. (by his first wife, the Lady Mary Poulet, second daughter to the first Duke of Bolton,) and by her had four sons, Sir John, his successor; Henry, (dead;) Thomas, late Lieutenant Colonel of the 25th regiment of foot; and the Rev. Henry Goodricke, Prebendary of York, &c. and also four daughter; Mary, (dead;) Elizabeth, died unmarried; Sarah; and Jane, married to the Rev. Mr. Wanley, of Ripon. Sir Henry died July 21st, 1738, and was succeeded in dignity and estate by his eldest son, Sir John Goodricke Baronet, who in his early years resided at Stockholm, as Envoy Extraordinary from his Majesty to that Court. Sir John Goodricke who became the fifth Baronet, was born at Ribston 20th May 1708. He was thirty years of age when he succeeded to Ribston and he lived to enjoy his ancestral home for fifty-one years, a much longer period than had been granted to any of his predecessors. Sir John married, before the death of his father at the early age of twenty-three, (28th Sept. 1731) at Hendon, Co. Middlesex. Miss Mary Benson a natural daughter of Robert Benson, Lord Bingley, who had died on the 9th April in the same year, and by whom he had issue one son Henry, which Henry a British diplomat married, a foreign young Lady Levina Benjarmina Sessler of Namur, Woldthuzen in Friesland, a Dutch merchant’s daughter and had issue by her two sons and a daughter. The eldest John Goodricke born in Groningen Holland 17th September 1764, and baptized two days later in the Anglican Church there. In 1769 at the age of five he contracted scarlet fever leaving him totally deaf. John had such a profound hearing loss that he was not aware of voices, but after a good education he was able to read lips well and to speak. He was sent to a school specializing in his disability in Edinburgh at the age of eight. Thomas Braidwood established the school in 1760. John went on to become an armature Astronomer and almost certainly made his historic observations of Algol from the Treasurer’s House in the Minster York, which lead to him receiving the Copley medal from The Royal Society. A memorial tablet to John Goodricke is on the wall of the Treasurer’s House bearing the family Arms give tribute to John’s achievements and reads. "From a window in the Treasurer's House, City of York, the young deaf and dumb astronomer John Goodrick, who was elected a fellow of the Royal Society at the age of 21, observed the periodicity of the star ALGOL and discovered the variation of CEPHEL and other stars thus laying the foundation of modern measurement of the Universe."
Sir Henry Goodricke sixth Baronet, only surviving son of Henry Goodricke, Esq, of York, and grandson of Sir John, fifth Baronet, was twenty-four years old when he succeeded to the title and family estates. He married at Mold, Co. Flint, 30th November, 1796, Charlotte, fourth daughter of the Right Honourable James Fortescue, of Ravensdale Park, in Ireland, and sister to William Charles, second Viscount Claremont and had issue one son Sir Harry James Goodrick seventh Baronet, was born in N. Earl Street, Dublin, 16th September, 1797 He was baptized at the Parish Church of St. Thomas, Dublin, 23rd October, 1797 and this baptism was publicly declared and confirmed in the Chapel at Ribston, 30th July, 1798 in the presence of Sir Henry Goodricke his father, and the Rev. Henry Goodricke, then Vicar of Hunsingore. He inherited an estate which, at the time, was spoken of and acknowledged to be one of the finest in the northern counties. When Sir Harry James succeeded to his paternal estates in Yorkshire he was a child of four and a half years. His guardians were his mother, Dame Charlotte Goodricke, Viscount Clermont, Peregrin Dealtry Esq., and Edward Wolley Esq., who in due time sent their charge to Eton College for education. There his character apparently developed itself without much discipline or control and he became distinguished, not for his good or clever qualities, but, unfortunately, for the very reverse, and he was spoken of, in after life, by a gentleman (Mr. George John Serjeantson, J.P., N. & W. Ridings Camphill, Yorks.) who had been a fellow student at Eton and who knew him intimately as, "as bad a fellow as ever lived." Such a beginning in youth did not promise well for manhood. On attaining his majority (September 1818) he became master of Ribston and, on the death of his maternal uncle, Viscount Clermont in 1829, he inherited very large estates in Ireland and is said to have enjoyed an income of upwards of £40,000 plus pounds a year. Sir Harry's ample means and his social position was able to provide for indulging his inherited tastes for the turf and the hunting field. He became a popular member of the Quorn Hunt.
Lord Southampton resigned the Master ship of the Quorn in April 1831 and at a meeting held at the "Three Crowns," Leicester, Sir Harry Goodricke was unanimously elected to succeed his Lordship. Sir Harry named his own terms, which were that he would hunt the country at his own cost and would hold himself alone accountable for his manner of doing it.
In the hands of Sir Harry Goodricke the Hunt was kept up in first-rate style. He had upwards of fifty hunters of his own in the stables and about one hundred couples of hounds, and the maintenance of these, together with the payment of other expenses, which he took upon his own shoulders were estimated to cost him over £6,000 a year and probably did cost a considerably larger sum. A contributor to the Leicester Journal took the trouble to make the round of the Melton stables in 1833 and found that no fewer than 450 horses were quartered in the district, Sir Harry heading the list with 52. Sir Harry naturally became involved in debt, though this fact was not known at the time, and another mortgage of the whole of his Goodricke patrimony became necessary in order to meet his ever increasing and reckless extravagance. True it is that his father, the sixth Baronet, whose eccentricity was notorious, found it necessary on 21st August 1795 (Wakefield Registry) to assign every acre of his inheritance to Trustees for the benefit of his creditors, but the long minority of his son Harry James, should have rendered it possible to largely diminish, if not extinguish, that debt.
In July 1833 Sir Harry sailed in his yacht to Ireland, and while there it is said he caught a severe cold when indulging in one of his favourite sports, otter hunting, and this proved fatal in forty-eight hours.
He had then just completed, in his customary extravagant style, all arrangements for the shooting season, inviting a number of noblemen and gentlemen to join him at his shooting box, Mar. Lodge, in Scotland, and his guests were considerably upset at the news of the unexpected demise of their popular host.
Sir Harry James Goodricke died at Ravensdale Park, Co. Louth his Irish seat, 21st August 1833. He was unmarried. His body was brought over for burial in the family vault at Hunsingore. It was soon discovered that Sir Harry had signed a Will just one month before his death (25th July 1833) under which the whole of the Goodricke family estates were bequeathed to his sporting friend and schoolfellow Mr. Francis Lyttleton Holyoake. This gentleman received permission on 12th December 1833 to assume the additional surname and arms of Goodricke and he was afterwards created a Baronet, 31st March 1835.
The Louth and Armagh estates which Sir Harry had enjoyed from his uncle, Lord Clermont, passed, as provided, to Thomas Fortescue, Esq. of Dromisken, afterwards Lord Clermont.
This Will was proved in London on 27th November 1833 and Mr. Holyoake took possession of Ribston. It was stated at the time that Holyoake assumed the additional surname of Goodricke.
Memories of rollicking and disreputable scenes Holyoake doubtless had in abundance, but none of real respect. At all events Holyoake showed his pretended respect for Sir Harry in a curious way for, instead of taking up his residence at Ribston as might have been expected he immediately let the residence furnished and set about the disposal of it and every Goodricke acre as early as decency would permit. Ribston was eventually sold in 1836 to Mr. Joseph Dent of Appleby in Lincolnshire for the sum of £180,000. Mr. George Robins, the agent who carried out the sale was so disgusted with Holyoake for cheating him out of £1,000 of his remuneration that he published in 1840 a fifty page pamphlet describing the whole transaction.
Sir Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke, the 8th Baronet and Last.
We have now to pass over an interval of six years (1833-1839). No longer with an inheritance of vast estates only a title and rented rooms in London, Noël Star Street, Edgware Road.
This house which was occupied by a family of the name of Waterhouse afforded lodging to an old gentleman in reduced circumstances none other than Sir Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke, the eighth Baronet who succeeded to and assumed the title on the death of Sir Harry James in 1833. Sir Thomas was the only surviving son of Colonel Thomas Goodricke, and grandson of Sir Henry, fourth Baronet, and was born at Rochester, 24th September 1762. He had married 2nd April 1794, Harriet, eldest daughter of the late Henry Goodricke, Esq., of York and granddaughter of Sir John, fifth Baronet, but she pre-deceased him leaving no issue. Very little is now known of the life of Sir Thomas, but the fact that Sir Francis Lyttleton Holyoake-Goodricke gave him an annuity of £20 pounds a mere pittance Sir Thomas accepted and drew quarterly at the counter of Messrs. Glyn Mills & Co's Bank is in itself sufficient corroboration of the fact that his means were painfully small. He died at the house above-mentioned on 9th March 1839 in his seventy-seventh year and was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.
Thomas Francis Henry Goodricke was the last Baronet, and at his decease the elder branch of the Ribston Goodricke’s was allowed to become extinct. The old family is still represented and descendents can be found throughout the world.
Argent, on a Fess, Gules, between two Lions, passant guardant, Sable, a Fleur de Lis, Or, between two Crescents, Argent.
CREST. A Demy Lion Ermines, armed and Languid Gules, issuing out of a Ducal Coronet, Or; holding in his Paws, a Battle-axe, proper, helved, Or.
SUPPORTERS. TWO naked Boys, which are on the Monument of Richard Goodricke, Esq.; who was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1579.
Seat. At Ribston, and Altofts, in Yorkshire.